HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Odd sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 09:58 PM

Question Odd sound

I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive question.

I was driving from Vegas to Seattle and around Idaho I started to hear an odd sound. I couldn't even put a name on what to call the sound but it made me pull over and call AAA because I just had a new tire put on so I was thinking it was the tire was put on wrong.

It was checked and I was good to go. Yet the sound was still there. I stopped and checked the motor oil. I was good to go. I was not able to check the transmission fluid. What a dumb design BTW.

Mine is a 5 speed.

I made it to the Seattle area fine but now the sound is starting to get louder. I pushed in the clutch and the sound continued.

Best way to describe the sound is like the sound of meaty 4x4 tires going down the road.

I have an odd feeling it's my transmission and the sound means I am going to be paying alot of money soon.

Any ideas?

It does have a newer clutch but it is slipping. It started slipping not too long after I put a new clutch plate on.

It is slipping more and more often which is why I am thinking the tranny.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:37 PM

If it is only when rolling it is a bad hub/bearing. If it is even when parked it is a cracked flex joint in the exhaust.

Check the hubs by jacking the wheel off the ground grasp the wheel at 12 & 6 if you can feel ANY in out play they are bad.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:37 AM
Administrator

X2^^^^, hubs!
Old 06-21-2021, 12:18 PM

Check if the sound changes when you make tight turns before throwing hubs at it. They can be tight and still make noise. If they do get louder/quieter when you turn left and right then you have more evidence of hubs/bearings.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Turning corners at low speed and hearing clicking noises would be the cv joints in the axles. Just in case y’all are going try that test.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:27 PM

For anyone watching, even though you post in the SS forum, it's good practice to list year model, trim level, engine size and transmission type. OP states he has a manual transmission, so that's a start.

What's the dumb design? Were you expecting a dipstick? On a manual transmission?

Is the sound relative to engine speed(RPM, on your tachometer), or vehicle speed(speedometer)?
Old 06-21-2021, 04:03 PM
Administrator

His profile says 2008 2.0 turbocharged SS . But having to look for that is tedious, and he could have more then one HHR!
Old 06-22-2021, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Turning corners at low speed and hearing clicking noises would be the cv joints in the axles. Just in case y’all are going try that test.
But it doesn't sound like he's describing clicking.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:10 AM
Administrator

I know just pointing out what a clicking noise indicates.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:34 AM

OldBlue you would be correct. I have a 2006 HHR and then there is my 2008 HHR SS.

I decided to check out videos on Hubs and bearings. I am as sure as I can be that it is in fact the hub.

It started on my drive to Seattle from Vegas. It started making noise around Boise and has steadily gotten worse it seems.

I have had to replace CV joints etc so I know what they sound like. It's also not lifters. I have had tranny issues before and it's just not acting all tranny like.

The sound starts out low and the faster I go the higher and faster the pitch is. As I said it sounds like a 4X4 with mudders on it.

I have gotten up to Freeway speed and then pushed the clutch in. The sound does not change. Tranny would typically stop making noises when you push the clutch in if I remember correctly.

It's not a rod or lifters or CV joints/control arm etc. I know all of those sounds well.

It is coming from the front end it sounds like. I will have to get it up on a jack this weekend and do a shake and spin test.

Being so convinced it is the hub I just went ahead and ordered two for the right and the left. Might as well be proactive.

Now that I am fairly sure it's the Hub I decided to look up videos on how to the hub and bearing.

I only found one and he should never try and make a living as an instructor.

If any of ya'll know of a video on specific step by step instructions for doing the fronts I would appreciate it.

Oh ya, as far as the dumb design. A couple things. I love my SS and dont plan on pretty much ever getting rid of her. That being said the battery in the trunk sucks. The other things is it's damn hard to keep it going straight when you launch. It gets squirly as hell! I love the fact it's a sleeper but the squirly off the line always makes me lose time on my runs. It sucks.

Thanks for your help ya'll!

Quick Reply: Odd sound