HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

parking brake while moving

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:11 AM

I would think the e-brake would be a simple cable-driven separate brake from the brakes that are controlled by ABS and traction control.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nebulous1
The Traction Control System shouldn't affect it, but the Electronic Stability Control system will apply brakes individually to keep the vector in line with the steering wheel. The first press of the button disables TCS. The second press (within 10 seconds I believe) disables ECS. The DIC will show Competition Mode. Then try the handbrake turns...

The second press will only put the car in competition mode. ESC is still active. To turn off ESC you must press and hold the button until the DIC says ESC off. Takes 5 to 10 seconds of holding.

The primary difference between traction control and ESC is ESC will allow wheel spin while traction control is supposed to eliminate or reduce wheel spin. ESC takes control when for example your steering wheel is telling the car to go straight but the computer detects you are starting to go sideways.

I live in a mountainous area and I have to tell you traction control in the snow on a hill sucks! I've had it reduce power so much the car wanted to stall and lost all momentum going up the hill. Had to downshift due to the reduced power while going up a hill and at the same time scramble to press the traction control off button.

As for an e-brake stopping a moving SS don't expect miracles. I haven't looked at the rear brakes on the HHR SS yet but if my last trailblazer, which had 4 wheel disks, is any indication the pads used for the e-brake are not the same as used for stopping. and they are TINY!!!!! Enough to keep the truck at rest but a real struggle to get it there.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 AM

i have a 5 speed. engaging the parking brake works great the car no longer plows around a corner . when engaged and gassing the front wheels the car makes a perfect turn like im on rails. coming to a stop i can kick out the back.

to say that the e brake doesnt function is wrong. manual transmission.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
I would think the e-brake would be a simple cable-driven separate brake from the brakes that are controlled by ABS and traction control.

Sir I think you win the prize!

I did not consider that but the E brake is cable operated and will not effect the ECS/TC system since they are hydralic systems.

That is why there is no light or sound form the system cycling.

Good catch.

As for the other question the E brake uses the the rear pads. It is a similar system as used on most GM rear disc cars. There is a screw in the caliper that moves the pads out to engage the rotor. They e brake will stop the car in an emergency . Yes no where near as well as the regular brakes but that is also why they call it a E brake.

I have driven cars with broken lines and no brakes what so ever for many miles on a good E brake to get them to where it could be repaired.

Note please use the E brake even on you Automatics as it is all that adjust the rear pads up as they wear.

Otherwise you will get a low brake pedal as they wear, Make sure your foot is on the brake and pull the lever. It will adjust the pads.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 AM

I have done this on several occasions with the parking brake so either my tires are shot or the road is not slippery enough to do it where your at. Mine is an auto as well.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

You have to turn the traction control off in order to lock in the rear wheels
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 AM

mine seems to need adjustment-I tried this too. It barely holds the car as it is normally.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by rommer
The second press will only put the car in competition mode. ESC is still active. To turn off ESC you must press and hold the button until the DIC says ESC off. Takes 5 to 10 seconds of holding.
You're right! The second press is a reduced-ESC mode, but to totally disable it you do have to hold it for a while. I had totally forgotten.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:07 PM

I can lock up my rear tires on the SS using the PARKING brake in snow/ice and spin the back around, but the ESC does sometimes try to intervene (if active), but in snow/ice, the ESC can't totally control it as tires will slip. I do it all the time! My LT is much easier to slide as it doesn't have any ESC.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 AM

You have missed one important fact: You can NOT turn off the antilock brakes, and that can be contributing to modulation of the front brakes when the backs are sensed to be locked up(handbrake applied). That will tend to keep the car straight. Traction control and stability control are interrelated with the antilock brakes, but the basic antilock brake function cannot be overridden.
I have also found the parking brake to be pretty weak, my car will move on a hill when the clutch is in, unless the brake handle is applied really hard.

Quick Reply: parking brake while moving