HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Please help educate me on Stage 1, exhausts, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM

Please help educate me on Stage 1, exhausts, etc.

Hi all. It's been way too long since I have posted on here. But I do have some questions.

I am interested in upgrading my 08 SS to have the boost boost hit sooner and a bit harder.

I have read that GM offers a stage 1 kit. Is this just a retune of the computer? Is it only done by a dealer? how much power, boost, and how soon will the boost come up compared to stock?

Exhausts - I have seen other turbo cars have a dramatic effect with a free flowing exhaust fitted on. Does anyone make an exhaust system for the HHR SS that helps put more power down to the wheels? What kind of gains should be expected?

If it matters, My 08 is an Automatic.

Thanks in advance

Denis
Old 07-07-2009, 10:25 PM

A black 08 SS in NH
I'm in Clinton, Mass and heard there's a black SS in Groton.
Where are you in NH?
Chances are I drove through your town since I got the SS three weeks ago
Here's my first NH trip: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...687#post390687

The Northern New England HHR Club does a cruise night in Milford, NH.

Originally Posted by Seegull in e-mail
"Tuesday nights at the old Ames shopping center in Milford.
Only in good weather!
I hope to get a few guys together and we meet at the Ocean Bank at 28 Jones Road to cruise in as a group"
Linda that schedules the cruise is away until next week but I'll be there next Tuesday in my SS if it's good weather.
Check out http://retrochevy.com/index.htm
-
Old 07-07-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mowgli
A black 08 SS in NH
I'm in Clinton, Mass and heard there's a black SS in Groton.
Where are you in NH?
Chances are I drove through your town since I got the SS three weeks ago
Here's my first NH trip: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...687#post390687

The Northern New England HHR Club does a cruise night in Milford, NH.

Linda that schedules the cruise is away until next week but I'll be there next Tuesday in my SS if it's good weather.
Check out http://retrochevy.com/index.htm
-
There is actually two in my town, mine and one other. I'm in Merrimack, about 15 miles from Milford. I'll have to shoot down to the car show. I know there are some Cobalt guys on Friday night (car show) at Target on Amherst Str in Nashua
Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by denispetit
There is actually two in my town, mine and one other. I'm in Merrimack, about 15 miles from Milford. I'll have to shoot down to the car show. I know there are some Cobalt guys on Friday night (car show) at Target on Amherst Str in Nashua
Target's not listed at http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...sachusetts.pdf but it's not in Mass so...
I'll swing up to Target some Friday if you want to meet.

There are a few good/great shows in northern Mass.
I went to Lowell yesterday against my better judgement and there were some cool cars but ewwww, it's Lowell.
I'm not fond of Worcester but they have a show on Weds that I was told is great and will find out ASAISROW (as soon as it stops raining on Wednesdays)
Thursday is a blast at Kimball's farm in Westford too.
Check that link above for Kimballs.
Orange Mass is a haul but it's worth it on Sundays.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, I'll PM you tomorrow
Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 PM

the stage 1 is not just a retune...it upgrades the MAP sensor and appropriate hardware and a reflash, which the reflash must be performed by a dealer. boost is increased to the 22psi range and hp/tq ratings go to 290/315 respectively. not sure how quick it spools as i have the hahn tune...i have 23psi by maybe 3200 if not sooner never really payed that much attention...just holdn' on

hahn, trifecta, gm stg 1 are all good tunes...it just depends what your preference is.

you must first have a tune of some sorts in order to realize any gains from an exhaust due to how the ecm works...and at that i don't believe that exhaust gains are all that high (no one quote me on that!!!) hahn and magnaflow are the only ones i know of that make one for the ss

Originally Posted by denispetit
Hi all. It's been way too long since I have posted on here. But I do have some questions.

I am interested in upgrading my 08 SS to have the boost boost hit sooner and a bit harder.

I have read that GM offers a stage 1 kit. Is this just a retune of the computer? Is it only done by a dealer? how much power, boost, and how soon will the boost come up compared to stock?

Exhausts - I have seen other turbo cars have a dramatic effect with a free flowing exhaust fitted on. Does anyone make an exhaust system for the HHR SS that helps put more power down to the wheels? What kind of gains should be expected?

If it matters, My 08 is an Automatic.

Thanks in advance

Denis
Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 AM
00prowler

Stage 1 keeps your warrantee intact....worth every penny....really wakes it up...esp if ya got an auto... goes from 235 to 290 hp....tires break loose really easy now...had mine done Monday...Al

Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Former Sponsor

FYI if you need any Hahn parts we carry them at www.TurboTechRacing.com