HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Poor Baby

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Banned

Poor Baby

So im driving to take care of some things and all of a sudden i hear a BOOM and a hissing sound after. And all im thinking is F**k my tire just blew. Low and behold my left rear tire blew out. So i put the car on the jack thinking thats its no big deal that i can fix it. So after i take the tire off i look on the inside fire wall and see a big gash on it and a chip in my rim!!! Im so pissed right now. The spare is on and now i need to pay my local Just Tires a visit and drop $300 on a new tire plus install. Why do these tires have to be so expensive?!?!?!

Anybody have any ideas where i can get the tire cheaper than $260
Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 PM

$210 shipped on tirerack.com...... That does suck tho
Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

thanks a lot ill get it from them
Old 11-12-2008, 03:58 PM

no problem...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:59 PM

Would I be correct in saying that you have the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's? If so Tire Rack has that same tire for $192.00. They also have other brands that meet AND exceed your Michelin Specs and are WAY cheaper ($112.00)
Old 11-12-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by dknopp
Would I be correct in saying that you have the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's? If so Tire Rack has that same tire for $192.00. They also have other brands that meet AND exceed your Michelin Specs and are WAY cheaper ($112.00)
I don't think you'd want to put a completely different tire on just one wheel. That certainly could be an option when replacing the entire set of tires, and I may look into this down the road, given the price of the stock tires!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

Yeah the original tires are ridiculously expensive but i wont be getting something different when i have 3 perfectly good ones but when i have to swap all of the i am definitely not going to get those michelins. They SUCK in the rain and snow. Im thinking of some Good Year Eagle RS-As
Old 11-12-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by bartSS
Yeah the original tires are ridiculously expensive but i wont be getting something different when i have 3 perfectly good ones but when i have to swap all of the i am definitely not going to get those michelins. They SUCK in the rain and snow. Im thinking of some Good Year Eagle RS-As

If you want Goodyear Eagles the RS-A is one of there oldest tires and no where near as good as some of their newer Eagle editions.

Go for one of the several more advance Eagle releases as get the newest technology. The RS-A was made as an OE tire many years ago and is of the old technology. The truth is the RS-A is a cheap 1990 technology tire that will either be redone or phased out in the near future

Also if you want to save money on a Goodyear tire go with a Dunlop as Goodyear owns and make Dunlop in the very same plants they make the Goodyear tires.

I have many people in the Family and Friends that either work or are retired from Goodyear so you learn a thing or two from their work at the tech center.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by bartSS
So im driving to take care of some things and all of a sudden i hear a BOOM and a hissing sound after. And all im thinking is F**k my tire just blew. Low and behold my left rear tire blew out. So i put the car on the jack thinking thats its no big deal that i can fix it. So after i take the tire off i look on the inside fire wall and see a big gash on it and a chip in my rim!!! Im so pissed right now. The spare is on and now i need to pay my local Just Tires a visit and drop $300 on a new tire plus install. Why do these tires have to be so expensive?!?!?!

Anybody have any ideas where i can get the tire cheaper than $260
Just be glad the wheel was not distroyed. It would have added $750.00 more to the bill.

Tires cost a lot because they are hand made by most times in union shops and use a lot of oil that was expensive not long ago.

The perfromance tires are most time scrapped if there is any defect found even under X ray. There are no high speed rated blems or white letters. Too much liability.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Banned

true true the only reason i mentioned the Eagle RS-A is because i had them on an older supra that i owned and they were awesome. But i just looked and i might go for some other pilot series that will have better traction all around. I dont think ill take price into consideration when i get new ones i just want something good. It just sucks to shell out 200 for a tire when the old one only had 4000 miles on it. But i got plenty of time before ill be replacing all the tires.... at least the back ones cant say the same bout the fronts

Quick Reply: Poor Baby