HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Question for owners the PAL audio link

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 PM

Question for owners the PAL audio link

I got my PAL installed for my ipod today by my dealer. Did not have much time to play with it until I got home. I have some static and crackling through the speakers when the PAL is selected as a source. Does not matter if the ipod is connected or not. So I will have to take it back to the dealer for that one.

My actual question is regarding the audio level. Does anyone else notice a difference in volume from the PAL versus a CD? It is noticeable to me but not a huge difference. I don't know if what I am hearing is due to the compressed audio on the ipod, the PAL putting out a lower level of audio, or if mine is messed up since I already have some static and crackling.

I appreciate the input.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:31 PM

I notice that the stuff I actually upload to my Nano from the iTunes software has a lower audio to it. The other music that was on my laptop already sounds louder (when I put iTunes on, it took all the folders of music I had).

On the other hand, I uploaded music from one of my student's iTunes to my Nano and it is loud.

So other then having to turn up the volume a bit, it still sounds great through the Pioneer system.

Oh yeah--the PAL was on the car when I bought it, so no crackling problem. I LOVE having it and using the steering wheel controls.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:12 AM

Will the PAL work in a 2008 HHR with the Pioneer audio system and factory XM? I remember reading that there was an issue when the vehicle had factory XM and I'm wondering if they fix the issue yet.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 09:50 AM

if the car has factory xm you will have no problem, if the car has dealer xm installed then there is problems....
I believe thats how chevymgr stated.

look under XM and P.A.L. install.

Last edited by HHR4JK; 04-26-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added
Old 04-26-2008, 09:53 AM

You do have to have the radio flashed after installing a PAL if you have the XM, right? My PAL is on order through GM Parts Direct, and hopefully will arrive next week. I don't have XM (I'm a Sirius subscriber), but thought I saw something about having to flash to use XM with a PAL.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=ChevyMgr;258274]Here is the original posting. See post #38.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=12882&page=4

I'm sure they will get this worked out sooner or later.[/QUOTE

check this out see if this helps
Old 04-27-2008, 08:18 AM

I have the PAL in my 08 SS with factory installed XM and while I would not be without it I'm very pissed off with it. I did the install myself and my dealer did the flash at no charge. I have 2 annoying problems.

1) When first starting the car you must allow the IPOD to play first if you wish to listen to XM. Failure to play the IPOD first, even for a second or 2 makes the XM randomly switch back and forth between the channel you are trying to listen to and channel X0. Once the IPOD has loaded up and played, by selecting the IPOD mode, you can go back to XM and it will play normally. (Most of the time anyway, sometimes you have to go back and play the IPOD twice before XM behaves but very rarely.) Frustrating but livable.

2) When playing the IPOD at 3/4 volume or higher the silent period between songs is anything but quiet. Lots of strange noise which is not exactly static or hum but annoying none the less. Using the same IPOD via the radio's MP'3 input jack does not have the silent period noise so it's not the IPOD. Again annoying but livable for me.

Never have been able to get any help on these issues and I think that asking the dealer would be fruitless as I can already image their eyes glazing over as I try to explain these issues. (Please don't get me wrong, I think my dealer overall is excellent but these types of out of norm things would not be worth leaving my car their for attempted resolution of what I believe is a defective design....)
Old 04-27-2008, 09:10 AM

Damn. I love having the PAL--even though I occasionally have issues with its slow loading and trying to get a playlist chosen/started.

I had toyed with the idea of getting the XM, but reading about all these weird 'poltergeist' sounds coming out, I may reconsider...