HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Questions - 2008 HHR SS - Might Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Chevrolet customer service will do that for you if you ask her nice.

send her a PM ChevroletCustomerService
Will do ... thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
Correct me if I am wrong but I think in 08
You got a drivers performance seat only?
Second performance seat was option. I have both performance seats on my '08.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 PM

All the differences between the years are minor.

The performance panel on the dash is the greatest change but it more a toy than anything. I own a 08 and have no regretts not having it since Installed a Aeroforce gauge.

The only other option I would recomend is the drivers seat for the drivers side. It was an option in 08 and was not an option on the passenger side. I converted my passenger seat as I did not like the two different seat bottoms.

I did like the 08 as I did get the red and black interior that was deleted in later models.

As for the brake issue. The truth is the rotors do not warp. The issue like on most FWD cars have one of two issues.

One is rotor thickness run out due to a worn hub bearing out of spec. The rotor wobbles hitting the pad and will wear the thickness differently on the rotor. GM has a TSB on this one for the HHR.

The second issue is generally people and dealers do not seat the brakes. Too often with the cheap pads someone will come down a off ramp hard or in traffic and get the rotors hot enough that the pad material sticks to the rotor creating a point where it will grab with a warp feel. Seating in the pads will coat the rotors with pad material evenly and help prevent this.

Like stated both are not too common on the SS but the standard with rear drum brakes out of adjustment will get the front rotors hot enough to create conditions perfect for the pad material to stick and create the pulse.

I also have the 6 disc changed radio. While I love the Bluetooth in my GMC the radio in the 08 SS is ok as I burned 6 MP3 disc that have over 150 songs each. It is like my own juke box. The plug also is nice as I can put anything from Pandora to my Dish TV audio on my radio with my I phone.

To be honest there were no options or changes of any of the years that would be a deal breaker. The key is to get as low of miles as you can and one that has not been modified. This way you know what was done and how it was done unless the owner can document what all has been changed.

I think for the mix of options the 09 would be the best just because of the two drivers performance seats being standard mid year otherwise they all are nearly the same.

$15K is a good price for 20K miles as in this area I have been seeing them advertised at $19K with more miles. Most are pretty beat up too.

This car is like many where it was either taken care of or rode hard and put away wet. I think you will be quick to see the difference. If you have any doubts or questions walk away or get a second opionion. There are more out there and you will find what you want if you can take your time.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks for all of the info ... the dealer was less than helpfull and I have decided to look elsewhere. The joys of car shopping .... found a 2010 that I like though, low miles too. And they seem to be eager to sell, so currently talking with them. Find out something this week.

Now, this one has Breembo brakes. So I am guessing it came with LSD and the performance package. Unless the original owner had them installed seperately. I read on this forum that there was a performace package available for a short time on the 2010. And those with factory Breembo had a LSD.

Anyway ... find out soon. :)
Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

The Perf.Pkg.(Brembos,LSD:5 speed only) was available for the entire 2010 SS production run.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM

How are things going with the new vehicle search, MrPyle? I hope things will be coming together quickly for ya.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service