HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS 5 speed shifter & power seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:39 PM

SS 5 speed shifter & power seat

I purchased my 2009 HHR SS in June, and have 19,000 miles on it and I love it! I have two issues and am not sure if they are typical on the SS. I have the performance div seats and after my wife drove the car and moved the seat, it seemed to not go down in the back as far as it had. I am not sure Do other seats go lower in the front then in the back? I can get it so that I feel like I am sliding out of the seat.

The second issue is that it is a pain to get into fifth. I have to pick up the safety for Reverse to get it into 5th. I thought it might be normal when I read a review of another HHR, where they liked the car once they figured how to get it into fifth. I have had lots of sticks, but never had to move a safety device to get it into 5th.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:46 PM

try pushing the whole switch down at one time, then the front and rear down individually.

As for 5th mine is fine. I couldn't find it when I was test driving it but once you get it, it should be fine. It is not quite all the way to the right (back about 1/2", then up)
Old 11-28-2009, 07:06 PM

I had the same problem with mine going into 5th since I bought it in July. It is not normal and is a cable adjustment issue. I never really liked the feel of the stock shifter so after 3 months in a box, I just installed a TWM Short Shifter and it made a world of difference. Shifting is now firm and solid.
Check out this post:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ockout+problem
Old 11-29-2009, 12:43 AM

Make sure nothing rolled under the seat and is blocking movement......
Old 11-29-2009, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by SSexpress
The second issue is that it is a pain to get into fifth. I have to pick up the safety for Reverse to get it into 5th. I thought it might be normal when I read a review of another HHR, where they liked the car once they figured how to get it into fifth. I have had lots of sticks, but never had to move a safety device to get it into 5th.

I have this issue aswell, but it only happen while I'm on the highway and doing a little over 80 mph, if I'm below 80 it goes into 5th with no problem. I plan to take it in to have it checked out.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:51 PM

When shifting into 5th aim for the Aux Power Outlet/Cigarette Lighter and it should go in smooth. I had trouble on the test drive too.

Make sure the handle on the side of the seat to recline the seatback is not stuck in the up postion. Pull the handle up and move the seatback back and forth until it settles into the right setting and the handle goes all the way back down
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks, for the feedback, It is definately something I can live with, but wondered if that was the design and others had that same issue. Peevlos had the same problem, I think that I will take it in tp have it checked out. I have also considered putting in an aftermarket shifter.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by peevlos
I had the same problem with mine going into 5th since I bought it in July. It is not normal and is a cable adjustment issue. I never really liked the feel of the stock shifter so after 3 months in a box, I just installed a TWM Short Shifter and it made a world of difference. Shifting is now firm and solid.
Check out this post:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ockout+problem
Thanks, maybe since you got yours in July, and I got mine in June they may have had an issue. I have wondered in the nearly 19K miles if the aftermarket shifter would take care of it. Thanks,
Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Make sure nothing rolled under the seat and is blocking movement......
I will check it, maybe there is something jamming it up in the rear of the seat. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by MrGTO
When shifting into 5th aim for the Aux Power Outlet/Cigarette Lighter and it should go in smooth. I had trouble on the test drive too.

Make sure the handle on the side of the seat to recline the seatback is not stuck in the up postion. Pull the handle up and move the seatback back and forth until it settles into the right setting and the handle goes all the way back down
Thanks for the tip, there seems to be a gate that is in the way, and the only way I can get it there is to pick up the safety.

Quick Reply: SS 5 speed shifter & power seat