HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS struggles to start and then runs for 4 secs then dies. Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 03:24 PM

SS struggles to start and then runs for 4 secs then dies. Help!!!

just the other day i noticed the car was idling weird next thing you know the car stalled I tried starting it up right away and it wouldn't, so I waited a couple mins and have it a go and boom it started I noticed if I let it idle the car would stall again so I would keep it revved up just a little bit to get me home. The next day I popped open the hood and didn't see anything strange so I pulled off the throttle body and gave it a cleaning (wasn't to bad) got it back in and tried starting the car once again the idle was off and if I dint revv it the car would stall. I changed the MAF sensor and still nothing. The car runs perfectly fine hits full boost but as soon as I stop or come to an idle the car stalls. I took out the spark plugs and replaced them with new ones(AC Delco Iridium .035) and now it struggles to start and once it starts I give it a slight revv to keep the engine a live and it just stalls and won't let me keep revving. I'm lost and idk what else to look at. I can hear the Fuel pump prime for 3 seconds before I start the car . Also one great thing to add is that there is absolutely no CEL's. New engine and turbo have about 30kmiles and body has almost 100k 5 speed manual nothing but a ZZP Catless downpipe with extended o2bung. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by SS34
just the other day i noticed the car was idling weird next thing you know the car stalled I tried starting it up right away and it wouldn't, so I waited a couple mins and have it a go and boom it started I noticed if I let it idle the car would stall again so I would keep it revved up just a little bit to get me home. The next day I popped open the hood and didn't see anything strange so I pulled off the throttle body and gave it a cleaning (wasn't to bad) got it back in and tried starting the car once again the idle was off and if I dint revv it the car would stall. I changed the MAF sensor and still nothing. The car runs perfectly fine hits full boost but as soon as I stop or come to an idle the car stalls. I took out the spark plugs and replaced them with new ones(AC Delco Iridium .035) and now it struggles to start and once it starts I give it a slight revv to keep the engine a live and it just stalls and won't let me keep revving. I'm lost and idk what else to look at. I can hear the Fuel pump prime for 3 seconds before I start the car . Also one great thing to add is that there is absolutely no CEL's. New engine and turbo have about 30kmiles and body has almost 100k 5 speed manual nothing but a ZZP Catless downpipe with extended o2bung. Any help is appreciated.

update:
the car struggles to turn on so I step on the pedal and it starts I give it a revv and the car dies but now I see a slight cloud of greyish smoke coming from exhaust with a great scent of gas
Old 03-10-2017, 04:18 PM

Depressing the pedal puts it in 'clear flood' mode. Sounds like it may be your injectors are allowing fuel to leak into the cylinders. I'm not sure how you would test this theory. Maybe pull the spark plugs after the fuel pump runs(without cranking) and see if they are wet with fuel.

You say there are no CEL's, but did you hook up to a code reader, or is it just that the light is not on?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Depressing the pedal puts it in 'clear flood' mode. Sounds like it may be your injectors are allowing fuel to leak into the cylinders. I'm not sure how you would test this theory. Maybe pull the spark plugs after the fuel pump runs(without cranking) and see if they are wet with fuel.

You say there are no CEL's, but did you hook up to a code reader, or is it just that the light is not on?

im thinking it's the fuel pump going out. I pressed on the fuel valve on the hpfp and a tiny drop came out. I went to start the car and came back and pressed down on the valve and nothing came out. I have the reader connected and today for the first time it has a pending code for P0627 fuel pump A control circuit.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:52 PM

im thinking it's the fuel pump going out. I pressed on the fuel valve on the hpfp and a tiny drop came out. I went to start the car and came back and pressed down on the valve and nothing came out. I have the reader connected and today for the first time it has a pending code for P0627 fuel pump A control circuit.
i had one of my neighbors look at it earlier and he messed around with the fuse box and he put the fuel pump relay in the wrong spot down from where it goes. I caught his mistake and once again I hear the fuel pump prime and the hpfp is spitting out lots of fuel
Old 03-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

If you have the RPD dash unit, check the fuel pressure readings. Startup cold should be around 2000-2200 psi. Warmed up idle pressure around 400-600 psi.

Fwiw. I'm sure you know that the HPFP is a mechanical driven pump so pressures will only read with the engine running.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
If you have the RPD dash unit, check the fuel pressure readings. Startup cold should be around 2000-2200 psi. Warmed up idle pressure around 400-600 psi.

Fwiw. I'm sure you know that the HPFP is a mechanical driven pump so pressures will only read with the engine running.

yeah and that is the reason why I would go to start the car. I was testing the fuel pump in the tank at the moment to make sure it was creating pressure and that I was receiving fuel. I'm just trying to eliminate things one by one because at this point it's my only option
Old 03-11-2017, 08:00 AM

update!!

yeah and that is the reason why I would go to start the car. I was testing the fuel pump in the tank at the moment to make sure it was creating pressure and that I was receiving fuel. I'm just trying to eliminate things one by one because at this point it's my only option
so I unplugged the fuel pressure connector/ sensor right in front of the coolant reservoir under the intake manifold and the car didn't stall. Obviously it went into engine power reduced but it didn't stall. So I think I'm going to look into the injectors and that whole area right there and see what I find.