HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Still shy about using launch mode on my manaul ss

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 AM

Still shy about using launch mode on my manaul ss

I have had my car for a about 6 weeks now and I am still kinda shy about using the "no-lift?" shift feature on my SS. I noticed the difference when using lauch mode without holding the pedal down but its hard to get myself to try keeping it floored while shifting.

Just wondering if they are other owners who stayed away from using this feature.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:23 PM

I have an auto, but test drove a manual when buying. Don't be scared.....sales person, my wife and myself all drove the car with no-lift without any issues. Easy to do...maybe hard to get used to no-need-lift though. :)

Heck the sales person didn't even know about the option and thanked me for informing them of another feature the car had.

My wife wanted manual real bad.....but I didn't feel like spending 10+ hrs a week shifting gears through stop-n-go traffic.

-J
Old 08-08-2010, 12:26 PM

in all honesty I still don't know what the advantage of that is, I had an ls6 chevelle and raced it alot when I power shifted I would keep it floored and bang a shift. wether or not that button is pressed you can still do the same thing so like I say I don't understand the concept. no lift shifting has been around ever since there was syncronized transmissions in my opinion. At least you have a rev limiter if you miss
Old 08-08-2010, 12:43 PM

It does take some getting used to. I've done it a couple times, and it is difficult to get out of the habit of lifting off the gas pedal.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:18 PM
C G

I raced Formula Cars for several years and very rarely used the clutch to shift up or down. (Straight cut gears.) I always lifted slightly on upshifts and blipped on downshifts. I think it took me 4 or 5 trys before I managed to keep my right foot planted. Funny that it was harder for me to re-learn to do this than it was ignoring the clutch. I also kind of agree with davidjb. I stated out in straight line cars and as long as I had a working limiter I didn't lift.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:38 PM

In 14 months, 53,000 miles, I haven't used it.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by VictorySpeedway
In 14 months, 53,000 miles, I haven't used it.
Same here, 50,000 miles plus and never used it, no reason for my driving routine. I read a while back that even experienced drivers found they could get slightly better 1/4 mile times though so if you are going to the track, sounds like it would be worth practicing with it.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:18 PM

I do at least a couple no lift shifts a day, Only from second to third. (1st to second is looking for a ticket , Because at least with my SS it is loud an crazy The no lift shift was weird to get used to, But once you teach your brain to keep the right foot planted, It does a great job.
I have never used the launch control, I just can't see reving it and droping the clutch for a 10th of a sec gain at launch. Seems destructive , I feel i can certianly control the launch better than a computer from a stop. IMO , 30 plus years of geting the most of what i'm driving.

This comment has not been approved by the FDA !
Old 08-08-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by davidjb
in all honesty I still don't know what the advantage of that is, I had an ls6 chevelle and raced it alot when I power shifted I would keep it floored and bang a shift. wether or not that button is pressed you can still do the same thing so like I say I don't understand the concept. no lift shifting has been around ever since there was syncronized transmissions in my opinion. At least you have a rev limiter if you miss
The old Muncie's were a lot more forgiving vs the new Transaxles.

It is more to keep the tranny alive and let the driver have some added fun since the engine torque management program is already there anyways.

I used it in a 5 speed I drove and it works fine. It is not something you will used all the time but it is kind of neat.

Besides I like others have managed to learn to shift with out a clutch. The average driver any more can not drive a standard let alone drive it and power shift.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 AM

I use NLS all the time on my HHR with a tune. I dont like using it from 1-2 because the tires spin already, dont need any more help. I am actually putting down a good amount of power and have had no clutch problems either. I have been tuned and NLS for almost 34k now. Car is over 38k and hasn't had a single prob from NLS unless you don't do it quickly enough.

Quick Reply: Still shy about using launch mode on my manaul ss