HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Stupid plastic parts!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:15 PM

Unhappy Stupid plastic parts!

I just discovered that I have a broken mounting bracket on the underside of the plastic tube that comes up from the intercooler to the turbo. I think it is supposed to be a loop shaped mount and probably had a grommet on it? It attaches to a post that is right adjacent to the throttle cable pivot... All I have there now is a U-shaped piece of broken off plastic. I noticed the pipe was moved off to one side after I got home today from a fairly long cruise. I'm thinking the vibration of the motor, possible combined with the heat just made this piece give out. Does anyone else have this problem?

Too dark to take a picture now, will post one tomorrow. I can see the dealer putting up a stink about having to order this part under warranty...

Last edited by CarlsSS; 06-21-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:48 PM

W-a-r-r-a-n-t-y
Old 06-21-2008, 10:49 PM

that sucks man.
go figure... the plastic plumbing isn't handling it.

i have stronger parts in my house plumbing. and there's not much pressure coming from my toilet.lol

good to know though. i'm sure it's covered.
i just picked mine up yesterday. happy as can be with it!
but i knew before i was going to get rid of the plastic.
now that i see this i'm going to look into it sooner than later.

good luck.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:01 PM

Thanks Nate... Yeah, I'm sure I'll get it replaced, just not sure it will hold up over time. Really a very poor designed fastening point from what I can see that is left. Far too thin and frail looking. I was surprised to see this whole piece being made out of plastic myself.

Good to hear you finally landed your SS! I'll bet you are stoked!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:12 PM

Oohhh Man!!!!

I Love It! I Love It! I Love It!.........
Old 06-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

It's just a glitch. I know, you don't expect anything to break on a new vehicle. But sometimes...some things do.

You do understand that about 50% of the parts under your hood are some type of "plastic", including the actual intake manifold..which by the way, holds up pretty well.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:59 PM

Here is the picture I promised of the broken part. It is on the front corner of the engine near the oil cap. I said earlier that is was near the throttle cable pivot, but that is not what was there. It looks like some emission controls stuff...

Old 06-23-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
It's just a glitch. I know, you don't expect anything to break on a new vehicle. But sometimes...some things do.

You do understand that about 50% of the parts under your hood are some type of "plastic", including the actual intake manifold..which by the way, holds up pretty well.
lol
Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 PM

Just a quick update on this post... I finally got this piece replaced today. It took the dealer 3 weeks to get this part! I'm glad it wasn't something that kept me from driving it... I would have been screaming a lot louder about it though!

I was just thinking... maybe I have something else going on that caused this piece to break? Engine vibration, broken motor mount, etc...

One thing I do notice when I hit a hard 1st-2nd shift there is sometimes a slight banging noise... That could be a loose or broken mount maybe. I will have to look that over better when I get back from this trip. It certainly doesn't look like that strong of a bracket though, and it is the only on in the center of that big pipe.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 AM

have anyone noticed that these ic pipes seem "loose"??? what i mean is,you can actually wiggle the charge pipe from the turbo that runs across to the motor to the ic. to be more specific,after the mount shown in the pic above,if you grab the lower part of the pipe,you are able to wiggle it pretty good.

Quick Reply: Stupid plastic parts!