HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

TCS, ESC, Comp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 AM

TCS, ESC, Comp Mode

The manual has about 6-7 pages on this, but I think I finally have it figured out: 1) Push button once=turn off traction control. 2) Push button and hold for 5-10 seconds=turn off traction control AND turn off ESC. 3) Push button twice within 5 seconds=Competition Mode which=turns off traction control and adds "Launch Control" for one time launch only. Does anyone know if the ESC in Competition Mode acts any differently than the default (normal ESC)?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM

According to GM SI, the VSES (ESC) will be limited in the Competition mode. I've been unable to determine just exactly what "limits" it might refer to. I would assume that it shifts to a slightly different calibration......mainly because the info states that in this mode (Competition) the driver has full control of the front wheels and the ESC uses the rear to add stability.

The truth might be verified in the driving I suppose? I left a message for my contact at GM Brand Quality for the HHR platform, I'll see if he can clarify this point.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Retrorod
According to GM SI, the VSES (ESC) will be limited in the Competition mode. I've been unable to determine just exactly what "limits" it might refer to. I would assume that it shifts to a slightly different calibration......mainly because the info states that in this mode (Competition) the driver has full control of the front wheels and the ESC uses the rear to add stability.

The truth might be verified in the driving I suppose? I left a message for my contact at GM Brand Quality for the HHR platform, I'll see if he can clarify this point.
Thanks, meanwhile we are having torrential rain here and the ESC is awesome. It totally saved my butt (I believe) when my right side tires (only) hit a 3'' deep flooded section of road at about 60 mph (it was in a shadow and I did not see it). I immediately lost about 15 mph, but the HHR stayed arrow straight, like I said, awesome! Many spin-outs on this road, including a CHP!