HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

are these turbo motors reliable???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by TY&HHR
How is the SS in comparison to your Ty. I know different weight to power ratio but, is it close.
Nothing gets off the line like a TY. If you brake torque it, it just leaps
then runs out of steam as rpm rises. The TE60 and an custom exhaust
housing really wok up the upper rpm of TY.

The SS pulls good. Have not run hard yet cause only 35 miles so far but
I can feel the extra 300 # weight compared to the GXP with same motor.
The BSR tune will wake the SS up- stayed tuned.

turbofreak
Old 01-22-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
I don't own an SS HHR, but I did own a 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger with a turbo 2.2 for several years. As HHRcrafty said, the key to turbo engines is maintenance. Oil changes are a must, and never rev the engine, then shut it off. If you do the turbo will continue spinning without oil being supplied, and you will damage the bearings. I'm sure turbo technology has drastically improved since 1987, but I had no problems at all with mine at that time, even with 100,000 miles. The ONLY problem I experienced was my turbo stopped providing boost, so I tore everything apart to try and fix it, and all that was wrong was a "C" clip popped off on the waste gate. Replaced that and all was fine again. I thought for sure I needed a new turbo, so you can imagine how excited I was to find out it was a 50 cent repair.
I had an '85 Daytona Turbo, same car, similar engine, different turbo I think.
I remember running the s**t out of it, then checking under the hood to see the turbo glowing red. You really do need to let it cool down before shutting off the car or it could seize.
One other guy I knew at the time had the same car, he wasnt careful enough. He started it up one time after a good run and the turbo never spun again.
I went through a replacement engine and another rebuild, keeping the same turbocharger. I loved that car, it was my first. Then I sold it to one of my best friends for $1000, who then spun it on the highway and totalled it.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:01 PM

Turbo engines are very reliable. Saab has been making them for 30+ years, and they are known to run 300k+. Two important things that have already been mentioned but they are very important. 1) Let the turbo cool for a few seconds before shutting off, this lets it idle down and prevents "coking" of the bearing. 2) Don't run the engine at full throttle until the engine has reached normal operating temperature. This again helps to protect the turbo bearing. Modern turbo engines are just as reliable as their N/A counterparts.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 PM

I don't have a turbo HHR but did have a turbo charged 1986 Ford Thunderbird that had a four cylinder engine and a manual four speed. Ran great and had fantastic horsepower. That turbo was oil cooled and when you changed your engine oil you had to disconnect your coil wire and then crank the engine to get oil into the turbo. If you didn't do that you would cook your turbo. The turbo's spin at 100,000 rpms so it doesn't take long to fry one. I also have a 2001 turbo charged 7.3 diesel. That engine takes 16 quarts of oil each oil change and I put a Pyro meter on it to monitor the turbo temp make sure I let it cool to 350 degrees before I shut it off. It will get to 1200 degrees if your running hard or pulling a heavy load. should you pull off the interstate to get fuel after running 80 and just shut it down right away the turbo temp may be up to 900 degrees maybe more, maybe less and if you shut it down without letting it idle and the temp drop to 350 0r so you may coke the oil in the tiny oil cooling holes and plug one or more up after many times. When that happens the turbo runs hot and you start having blade separation when it's spinning at those high rpm and you now have to buy $3000 turbo. do whatever the manual says to do to take care of the turbo. Ask mr. Goodwrench what you should do. They are tough and you will enjoy it.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:18 PM

I hope I haven't attained miss info here but I was told the Ecotech motor is Saab technology. If so I've always known Saab to make great turbo cars it's just that they were so darn ugly back in the 80's!
Like others here I'm really wanting to know what these motors are capabale of with stock internals and all the normal bolt-on parts you would normaly want on a turbo car and tuned properly on a dyno. If 400 WHP can be squeezed out of the one of these little things that would be way more than enough to keep me satisfied for a long time.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 PM

The Ecotech turbo was developed by Saab. Saab is responsible for all turbo development for GM now. I'm sure 400 isn't too much of a lofty goal, although I don't know what exactly it would take to get it there. Certainly MORE BOOST!

Last edited by Grohlinator; 02-07-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:39 PM

Im hearing that Hahn Racecraft is developing an Ecotec with 400hp.
Dont know much about it.
It CAN BE DONE!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D
Im hearing that Hahn Racecraft is developing an Ecotec with 400hp.
Dont know much about it.
It CAN BE DONE!
See the technical write up from GM (1600 HP in drag form) this basic motor is very strong. 400 streetable hp is definitely reasonable.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
See the technical write up from GM (1600 HP in drag form) this basic motor is very strong. 400 streetable hp is definitely reasonable.
Just to make sure we're on the same page you know I'm refering to "wheel HP", right?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 PM

I'd be more worried about how much HP the transmission can handle than the engine.

Quick Reply: are these turbo motors reliable???