HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Transmission in HHR SS only rated to 258 lb-ft?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:16 PM

Transmission in HHR SS only rated to 258 lb-ft?

Will the HHR SS have tranny problems or maybe this is the reason the no-lift shift feature was added?

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...35%20(MU3).pdf
Old 08-28-2007, 06:46 AM

That does not state for the HHR SS. That is also 2006 info, not 2008. The "no-lift shift" is a heavy duty feature. The HHR SS has a newer version that the SS/SC Cobalt tranny. The HHR SS 5speed does not have an "optional" LSD, it's standard.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
The HHR SS 5speed does not have an "optional" LSD, it's standard.
Depends on how you read it, from endeavorc"s quote from the gm media website;

"A limited-slip differential is available with the manual transmission."

The Dodge Caliber has LSD as standard, I think in the HHR SS it is optional?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Old Ray
Depends on how you read it, from endeavorc"s quote from the gm media website;

"A limited-slip differential is available with the manual transmission."

The Dodge Caliber has LSD as standard, I think in the HHR SS it is optional?
Not on the HHR SS, the LSD is standard with the 5speed, N/A with the Auto.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 AM

Wow, solman, better check your sources!

That's not to say that GM is always correct in what they publish, but take a look at this:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...08/08truck.htm

The F35/5(MU3) is the exact same transmission used the the Cobalt SS/SC and some other models. Not new either. If you dig some you'll find that this trans was designed and introduced by Saab in 1984.

Also, the limited slip will be an option, just like the current Cobalt application.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
Wow, solman, better check your sources!

That's not to say that GM is always correct in what they publish, but take a look at this:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...08/08truck.htm

The F35/5(MU3) is the exact same transmission used the the Cobalt SS/SC and some other models. Not new either. If you dig some you'll find that this trans was designed and introduced by Saab in 1984.

Also, the limited slip will be an option, just like the current Cobalt application.
Oh yea, you got me there. I guess they did make the LSD an option now. Guess they had to that with the auto buyers. But originally it was standard.

At least your link actually stated the HHR. You feel better now?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 PM

The limited slip won't be available with the auto. It's the same trans currently available.

Not trying to get you, solman, just going by what I've seen on GM Powertrain. And, that's not to say they are alway right with what's posted there. I've seen mistakes before.

While the HHR SS is a nice package, I really think that the GM bean counters (read budget police) overruled the development engineers on both trans options. The manual could have been a six speed and the auto a five speed.

I also believe (note: opinion only here!) that the "No Lift Shift" is just a fix to prevent abusive speed shifts that could result in warranty issues and that the reduced power in the auto is due to the limitations of the T45E for the same reason. Shame, really.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 PM

The limited slip won't be available with the auto. It's the same trans currently available.

Not trying to get you, solman, just going by what I've seen on GM Powertrain. And, that's not to say they are alway right with what's posted there. I've seen mistakes before.

While the HHR SS is a nice package, I really think that the GM bean counters (read budget police) overruled the development engineers on both trans options. The manual could have been a six speed and the auto a five speed.

I also believe (note: opinion only here!) that the "No Lift Shift" is just a fix to prevent abusive speed shifts that could result in warranty issues and that the reduced power in the auto is due to the limitations of the T45E for the same reason. Shame, really.
That we can agree on. But IMO both the manual and auto should be 6speeds. GM dropped that ball on that devopment. They have them in the "works" but never introduced them. Even in the new trucks this year, but they have been in the Denali for a while now.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:51 PM

But GM already has some more advanced transmissions that would work for the HHR SS. Like I said, the problem is COST, not availability. They already have a F40/6 manual in the Saabs. GM had been a little behind others in having more ratios in the automatics for some time now.

Heck, look what they've done to the roof racks for '08! Now how much did they save on doing the rails in a plain black finish vs. the previous (and higher cost) chrome finish? Now multiply that minimal cost by estimated total production..... Bingo, that adds up to some bean counter's bonus! GM math at it's best!

Last edited by JoeR; 08-28-2007 at 02:03 PM. Reason: trans # error fixed
Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 PM

But GM already has some more advanced transmissions that would work for the HHR SS. Like I said, the problem is COST, not availability. They already have a F40/6 manual in the Saabs. GM had been a little behind others in having more ratios in the automatics for some time now.

Heck, look what they've done to the roof racks for '08! Now how much did they save on doing the rails in a plain black finish vs. the previous (and higher cost) chrome finish? Now multiply that minimal cost by estimated total production..... Bingo, that adds up to some bean counter's bonus! GM math at it's best!
Sounds like my work to a tee. There's always a huge discrepancy between what the customer wants, what the company thinks the customer wants, what the engineer designs to meet the customers requirement and what the design ends up being after management gets their hands in it. Cost always prevails over design and quality.