HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Turbo Air Inlet Tube Contamination.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:14 PM

Here is an expensive version of what some are talking about. http://store.crawfordperformance.com/store/products/334

And a simpler, cheaper one like you describe above that I am going to give a try... http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52205/10002/-1

And yet another "overpriced" example http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/new_page_1.htm

I also noticed a small amount of oil in the turbo inlet area (clean oil, no sludge).

Last edited by c2vette; 04-24-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 PM

That Jegs air filter is way overpriced, along with most of the pretty, machined, anodized "catch cans." It can be duplicated for half the money at Home Depot as a compressed air filter. If you really want to do it right, get a coalescing filter specifically designed for oil mist and vapors. These are available at Mcmaster-Carr.

We LS1 owners have been fighting oil contamination for years. It lowers your octane and builds up thick carbon on the piston tops. I got so tired of it, on my new motor I vent the crankcase to atmosphere with a BMW electric smog pump. Don't tell Al Gore.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by mistermike
We LS1 owners have been fighting oil contamination for years. It lowers your octane and builds up thick carbon on the piston tops. I got so tired of it, on my new motor I vent the crankcase to atmosphere with a BMW electric smog pump. Don't tell Al Gore.
Evidently a lot of folks have been updating to the ls6 PCV setup with the separation chamber.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by c2vette
Evidently a lot of folks have been updating to the ls6 PCV setup with the separation chamber.
The later LS1s had that as well. It helps some, but not enough. Even the LS2 and 3 variants still suck oil. Most of the enthusiasts still have to use some type of catch can or filter.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:07 AM

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

I decided to read the trusty Factory Service Manual. Page 9-1217 has a description of the turbomotor PCV system.

In a normally aspirated motor, there is usually a vacuum in the intake manifold, and the PCV system consists of a connection from the valve cover to the the intake manifold thru the PCV valve.

In a turbocharged motor, there may be pressure in the intake manifold, so a more complicated system is used. There is a primary system similar to a NA motor, and a secondary system that vents the crankcase into the turbo inlet. According to the SM, this system is supposed to handle the problem of contamination of the throttle body and other parts of the induction system, but in practice, it doesn't accomplish this, if my experience is typical, rather than a fault with my system. I don't fully understand how the whole system operates, but it seems to me to be a more complicated thing than just installing a single catch can somewhere in the system.

Further thought and study of this matter appears to be needed.

I wonder how the 2008 HHR SS owners with much higher miles are doing with this problem...
Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ralphb
"If all else fails, read the instructions"

I decided to read the trusty Factory Service Manual. Page 9-1217 has a description of the turbomotor PCV system.

.................................................. .......

Further thought and study of this matter appears to be needed.

Good suggestion. Reading that also gives a hint that the folks who are having an actual build-up (coking?) may have a bad check valve.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ralphb
How does the catch can work ?

I got to thinking about the sooty exhaust that the HHR SS produces, and I remember that the oil started looking dirty soon after oil change. I am told that the direct injection results in the sooty exhaust (which seems strange to me - with fine metering injectors, precisely controlled, you would expect the opposite). Anyway, this all may be contributing to the PCV system producing more crud than might normally be expected.
I was following my wife just yesterday and we were playing a little cat and mouse....safely of course. She was in the HHR SS.

I noticed our SS actually smoking when she accelerated hard. Fine black smoke out the exhaust like a modern diesel. Just a hint of it but indeed noticeable. Also my soot level is on the back of the car is pretty bad even only after one week.

How can this be an acceptable practice in this day and age?

Old 04-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Direct injection has more soot than ported injection, but oddly enough, is more fuel efficient.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Safety in AFR for a turbo means being a little on the rich side. How do they get away with it?? Most emission testing isn't going to involve WOT boost conditions so it's never seen.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 PM

So after we have had a lot of discussion on possible remedies with examples of engine types that have a problem with oil contamination from the PCV system, and now after some investigation I am ready to say this is a non-problem for a properly operating SS 2.0 Turbo.

My car has had the Hahn tune running up to 24 psi boost for most of its 24,000 miles, and after looking at all the various parts in the intake tract (see photos of turbo inlet pipe, and turbo outlet) I see no evidence of "sludge" or even a light mist of oil (all bone dry). Also checked the old intercooler and pipes pulled off at about 18,000 miles, they are also completely clean and dry.

Conclusion: If you have oil or worse, "sludge" in your inlet tract, something is wrong, get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Turbo Air Inlet Tube Contamination.