HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Valve Lapping

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by m_ridzon
I have my 2.0 LNF cylinder head apart to replace the valve seals. I'm not planning to grind the valves since I'm also not planning to replace pistons, liners, and rings (I.e., I don't want to freshen up the top-end, to then create excessive blow-by on the bottom end). But I was thinking of lapping the valves at least. I've done this on plenty of other engines in the past, but is there any reason I should not do this on the LNF? In other words, is there any weird nuance about the engine/head that prohibits or discourages valve lapping?

Thanks in advance
M Ridzon
DrLoch. Post #1. Did you forget your reading glasses ? I know Oldblue has a pair you can borrow .
Old 01-28-2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Is the head off ?
Yup!
Level the head and fill the chambers with washer fluid and measure how fast it leaks, draining the combustion chamber, past the valve seats. Lap the valves and do it a second time. Tell us what you for found. Lapping the valves isn't going to raise the compression ratio that much, if any. Unless those valve seats and valves were toast to begin with.
The valve and head are not "toast" currently. So perhaps lapping may not increase compression that much. I removed the valves a few days ago, but I can re-install them to do this test w/washer fluid. Why washer fluid? Because it's benign and because water will lead to rust on the steel valves? Also note...the combustion chambers have holes for the injectors, which are removed. So I cannot completely fill them with fluid (for obvious reasons); I can probably fill them about 80% for the test.
Originally Posted by DrLoch
Maybe I missed it if you posted .. are you replacing the valve seals? If not you should be.
Yes, seals will be replaced. I'm not sure if you saw my recent mishap or not. But you can read here about how every shred of rubber and plastic came under attack in my engine due to contaminated oil during walnut blasting.

Last edited by m_ridzon; 01-28-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:36 AM

My plan is to merely wipe the valves and seats with a rag and re-assemble them into the head, not having lapped them or scrubbed the sealing faces. I'll install the spark plugs and plug the injector ports with some silly putty. I'll then invert the head and do this liquid test. My questions:
  1. What's unique about using "washer fluid?" (versus some other liquid)
  2. Assuming some leakage may happen, what exactly am I looking for? A certain "rate of leakage?" (chambers empty themselves over X seconds?)
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 AM

"Why washer fluid ?"
Washer fluid is just water, alcohol and some dye. It makes the water tension less so it can flow easier. The dye is there so you can see it better.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:22 AM

1. Assuming some leakage may happen, what exactly am I looking for? A certain "rate of leakage?" (chambers empty themselves over X seconds?)
!
Yes a rate of leakage. If the fluid takes an hour to leak out, no big deal. If it leaks out in 10 seconds, now look to see why.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:52 AM
Technical Moderator

Yeah, but why not test the seating the right way? I don't think there is any other use for Prussian Blue. That way you can see variations in the seat.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:07 AM

I think I'll do both: leak test and Prussian blue. Won't hurt.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:59 AM
Administrator

While you have it apart why not!
Old 01-29-2019, 12:35 PM

I think I'll do both: leak test and Prussian blue. Won't hurt.
YES do both, it can't hurt and you learn in the process. If someone tells you to jump off a bridge, always ask why first.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:47 PM

If someone tells you to jump off a bridge, always ask why first.

Quick Reply: Valve Lapping