HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

What does this mysterious part do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
You're dangler should be plugged into to the Charge Air Bypass Valve Vacuum Tank (2). That was fun.

Attachment 5984
Well, my own personal dangler ain't going into a vacuum tank. But... the hose, OK... now to find it. Any chance you've got something larger than a postage stamp pic of this thing? If so, I believe you have my email from the last time I bugged you for stuff ;-)
Old 11-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Founding Member

That's the best it gets on picture size. When I enlarge a picture it becomes a TIFF and I only have a TIFF viewer. It's below the manifold, mounted on the engine between the engine and the radiator. You have to access it from underneath the vehicle. You will see the nipple once you get under it and look up. If you can't see it, try to feel for the nipple. Surely you have done this before. Think teen years in the back of the theater.

The first time one of my techs replaced a knock sensor he broke that nipple off the tank. Nice. They are right next to each other.

Danglers...nipples,,,this thread just keeps getting better and better.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:05 PM
XXL

try to feel for the nipple. Surely you have done this before. Think teen years in the back of the theater.
Who's thinking teen years, I'm feeling for the nipple now... I just wish someone was here with me, or I was working on the car *ewwww*
Old 11-25-2009, 02:17 PM

XXL, Here is a pic someone posted over on the cobalt SS forum that shows on the car http://cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196631 of course a few items are missing from his it's on the 6th and 11th pic he posted thought it might help.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:10 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by jas89tta
it's on the 6th and 11th pic he posted thought it might help.
Got 'em. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by XXL
Got 'em. Thanks!
The tank is between the rag and the block in pic #1
Old 11-25-2009, 07:42 PM

I hope you have got it figured out.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:02 PM
XXL

The tank is between the rag and the block in pic #1
I had a chance to climb under the car a few minutes ago and take some pictures.

The 2 hoses coming off that tank pictured here (shot from the ground looking up-- for reference, note black tube emanating from a boss in the top left of the picture... that's the oil dipstick)--

...come straight up the middle of the motor and plug into the the top of the manifold as highlighted here--

While vacuum is ultimately related/interconnected in some way throughout the car, neither the tank or the connections running to it are at issue. The item at issue is approx. 12" due left (toward the passenger side of the motor) of the fittings pictured in the second pic above.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:33 PM

That's the best it gets on picture size. When I enlarge a picture it becomes a TIFF and I only have a TIFF viewer. It's below the manifold, mounted on the engine between the engine and the radiator. You have to access it from underneath the vehicle. You will see the nipple once you get under it and look up. If you can't see it, try to feel for the nipple. Surely you have done this before. Think teen years in the back of the theater.

The first time one of my techs replaced a knock sensor he broke that nipple off the tank. Nice. They are right next to each other.

Danglers...nipples,,,this thread just keeps getting better and better.
Grab yourself a copy of IrfanView. It reads, resizes, saves in every graphic format known to man. It can turn a TIF into a JPG or PNG with one hand tied behind it's back. It's small, fast, and free. It will not resize your dangler, however.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by mistermike
Grab yourself a copy of IrfanView. ... It will not resize your dangler, however.
It also will not solve this mystery/problem

One would think that an open vacuum line would be WELL documented if it was supposed to exist. One would also think that the locations and terminus for all vacuum lines would be WELL documented. This may explain a lot about the build quality of our cars... GM gave a bunch of workers in Mexico a pile of tools and some parts and just let them go at it without any instructions.

Quick Reply: What does this mysterious part do?