HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

what type of oil??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:36 AM

Hydro-cracked grp III is the same as not PAO base stock, so XOM's rationing of PAO would have no effect on supply of Group III base stocks. Example of a product labeled "full synthetic" that contains no polyalphaolefin esters would be Havoline full synthetic, Castrol Syntec. Examples of Grp III's with PAO blended in (unknown ratios) would be Mobil 1. Example of pure Group IV PAO base stocks used would be Amsoil and Redline's full synthetics, and I believe Royal Purple's.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Man I love these "discussions !!!

Ok....I'll buy that. But there is still no absolute proof that Mobil 1 is "blended". The say-so of someone on the net, participating in a forum, that alleges the credential of a chemist, is hardly proof (by the way....didn't that person state it was a total hydro cracked product,...not blended). And frankly, is subject to scepticism from many directions. I would/could believe this premise IF the resulting analysis displaying the alleged "blending" is posted with the same type analysis for a competitive product....and then outlining the difference to conclude that statement or assumption.

Also, I have read many technical documents that expressed statements regarding the validity of claims of pure PAO. Many are, in fact, not 100% pure PAO after analysis is done. All have some degree of highly refined mineral based oil (although maybe in minutia)....including those you mentioned. So, even though I may be contradicting my own statement in the first paragraph, I'm highly suspect of many claims of REAL 100% man-made chemically manufactured test tube produced synthetic oil.

Admittedly, these papers are above my "pay grade" and intelligence level (go ahead get your points) . But the important points were highlighted for emphasis.

The fact of the matter is that many manufacturers either lie, mislead, embellish, when marketing their respective products. Reasonable people, with a little study, an "open mind" and logic, can pick through the nonsense.

I like you, have based much of my life on evidence. I see very little in this topic.

EDIT....on second thought, I add.......does it really matter. If the oil product you select is doing the proper job, who cares. In honesty, as I believe Soleman has said, "when was the last time you heard of an engine failure DIRECTLY related to the oil?" Maybe on a race track, but with probably 100 million vehicles on the road....one or two.

I think people (including me) make way to much thought in the oil selction process. To the point of being obsessive .
Old 10-26-2008, 03:52 PM

So how about a list of approved Synthetics for our vehicles?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 PM

isn't there only one full synthetic Mobil 1 oil? high milage stuff is blended?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:14 PM

AGREED! It is educational to discuss it, though. I'm certainly still learning about many things.

I'm too often subject to the Paralysis of Analysis when I get my head into something. One of my personality traits that makes me be kind of an @ssh0le sometimes.

Originally Posted by Snoopy
The fact of the matter is that many manufacturers either lie, mislead, embellish, when marketing their respective products. Reasonable people, with a little study, an "open mind" and logic, can pick through the nonsense.

I like you, have based much of my life on evidence. I see very little in this topic.

EDIT....on second thought, I add.......does it really matter. If the oil product you select is doing the proper job, who cares. In honesty, as I believe Soleman has said, "when was the last time you heard of an engine failure DIRECTLY related to the oil?" Maybe on a race track, but with probably 100 million vehicles on the road....one or two.

I think people (including me) make way to much thought in the oil selction process. To the point of being obsessive .
Old 10-26-2008, 06:25 PM

Sale at advance auto

5 qts of mobil 1 and oil filter $30
Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 PM

Bought a 5 gallon jug of Mobile 1 for new cars at Wally World today for $26.95
Old 10-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Thumbs up Oil types

I thought I would put my two cents in. I am still "old school" on the subject of oil. I drive quite a few miles per week for my job and the oil stays in the crankcase most times for less than a month. Therefore the whole synthetic thing does not make sense. I use Valvoline in my HHR and it is what I used in my Tahoe which has 440K miles on it. It still runs fine, the engine has never been apart and uses no oil between changes. If it worked for the Tahoe, hopefully it will work for the HHR. The last time I bought it was at Wally world also. $10 for 5.5 qts. Can't beat it!!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
So how about a list of approved Synthetics for our vehicles?
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...14&postcount=8
Old 10-26-2008, 09:21 PM

^^ awesome thanks

Quick Reply: what type of oil??