HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Who do I kill?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 AM

Who do I kill?

After 111k miles I decided to change the spark plugs. I would like to know who is responsible for the mounting design of the air cleaner box. WTF? Those service manual pdf files have six references that state "remove the air cleaner, refer to air cleaner replacement procedure." That procedure doesn't exist. Anywhere. Not even a youtube video. Anyway, got it off, new plugs and we're good to go.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:33 AM

There have been at least a couple threads with the procedure. Here's one:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/checking-replacing-air-filter-10757/
Old 09-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Deceased

I think it was some guy at GM Powertrain named Milton, they kept taking his stapler so he vowed revenge on HHR owners everywhere.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
After 111k miles I decided to change the spark plugs. I would like to know who is responsible for the mounting design of the air cleaner box. WTF? Those service manual pdf files have six references that state "remove the air cleaner, refer to air cleaner replacement procedure." That procedure doesn't exist. Anywhere. Not even a youtube video. Anyway, got it off, new plugs and we're good to go.
I know this is like pouring salt on a wound, but, if you go to K&N's site for the C.A.I., it has a .pdf link to remove the OEM air cleaner assembly.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff......

So in 5 years and over 100,000 miles you are now removing the air cleaner for the first time. If that is the case, I wouldn't say it is that much of a problem.........almost 20 minutes tops........like changing a flat, yeah a pain, but maybe once in the life of a vehicle.

Actually, your Owners Manual has a "step by step" explaining how to remove. After reading it, and in my experience, it takes maybe 20 minutes (done several times).
Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM

you have the most secured air box in the world
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 PM

It's some GM engineers idea of payback after some grease monkey ran off with his wife.......
Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
It's some GM engineers idea of payback after some grease monkey ran off with his wife.......
Old 09-11-2013, 05:49 AM

If you think this was a pain change the plugs in a Monza V8 or Pinto V6 where you have to jack up the engine.

Or change the SC belt on my SSEI where you have to support the engine and remove the front engine mount.

This is nothing and it could have been much worse.

Try changing the rear plugs on a Fiero V6 that has not been changed in years. Not only can you not see them but they are will know to rust in and break or strip. Those guys would trade you for a Air Cleaner removal any day.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:46 AM

Changing the Air Filter on the HHR SS is much easier than changing the Air Filter on the 2.2 or 2.4l HHR
But Removing the Air box on the HHR SS 2.0 LNF can be a real pain
the first time I did it I did not want to ruin the three rubber grommets that are helping secure the air box so I removed all three allen headed studs.That took forever.

The best way I can recommend removing the Air box on the HHR SS would be

First call and order 3 or 4 new rubber grommets that are pictured below before you do anything else if your air box has not been off for more than 50,000 mile or 500 miles in some cases
  • Remove the three metal retaining clips on the three studs,Note there may be one or more missing
  • Spray Wd-40 on the rubber grommets ,
  • disconnect the cold air hose that comes from the fender from the fender much easier than taking off of the air filter box.If you decide to take off of the air filter box two standard size zip ties can help take this off easily
  • loosen worm gear on air filter box to turbo pipe
  • also not a bad idea to unclip the MAF sensor connection and the fresh air inlet pipe that goes from the valve cover that connects very close to the MAF sensor
  • Now you can try and pull the whole air box assembly up, Good luck, never worked for me,the whole design is for the rubber grommets to stay attahced to the air filter box and then slide up over the allen heade studs
  • at this point after you spend about 10 minutes pulling on the air filter box its time to realize that the Car is winning the battle its easier to get a hold of your local dealer or Tom or Mat at Crate Engine Depot and order 3 of these grommets
  • Then cut the grommets and pull the pieces/chunks of dried up rubber out then the box will come right off

Hope this helps as mentioned above a video of this removal would be nice
Name:  20130905_101437-1.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  42.7 KB

Quick Reply: Who do I kill?