HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Widest rim and tire combo for SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Yeah, I am newish here and not really a fan of four cylinder cars, but our new HHR has really worked well for Wifey so I got into this forum to learn. I am a big tire nut and enjoy getting info about what I can do to mess up our car and thnx to this forum, I learned about the 225/55 Blizzaks on sale for $60 so thnx all for this forum. Meanwhile, coming from some SRT10 forums where there is a lot of h.p. and torque, I am a bit surprised at how little is mentioned here about upping the power of these little toys. Is it my imagination or is there just little that can realistically be done? Sorry to change the topic here but it is kind of related because tires, wheels and h.p. CAN go together. It does not have to be all about show. Go still counts for some of us.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Danko
Yeah, I am newish here and not really a fan of four cylinder cars, but our new HHR has really worked well for Wifey so I got into this forum to learn. I am a big tire nut and enjoy getting info about what I can do to mess up our car and thnx to this forum, I learned about the 225/55 Blizzaks on sale for $60 so thnx all for this forum. Meanwhile, coming from some SRT10 forums where there is a lot of h.p. and torque, I am a bit surprised at how little is mentioned here about upping the power of these little toys. Is it my imagination or is there just little that can realistically be done? Sorry to change the topic here but it is kind of related because tires, wheels and h.p. CAN go together. It does not have to be all about show. Go still counts for some of us.

go to the 2.0 performance section. keep in mind when the srt4 came out,no one had anything. after about a year,things started popping up. i got my 04 srt in jan. of 04 and the stage one had just came out. the srt had an 03 model too. give it time. also these cars come with more than the srt. the only thing that's a negative is the weight. i'm proud to say my ss isn't "stock"(after i see the dealer to fix this boost leak!!!).
Old 07-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Well, I DO have the HHR SS bug but with the drop in resale on big trucks, I need to drive my SRT10 for a while longer ........... Darn, huh? Meanwhile the SS just got the AA5 option which I like and have on our LS and hopefully, by the time I order an SS, there will be more h.p. available stock and a SIX speed trans? These things seem to need dome lights and I see, thnx to this forum, that the '09s have one. My only complaint so far is the plastic cup that you put your right hand's fingers into to close the liftgate fell off and would not stay in until I added adhesive. Wifey drove from s.e. Michigan over 500 miles to Phil. and only stopped once for gas (regular - we are used to SRT10's and premium) and still has a half tank of gas. She is happy. ....and all this with a stinkin' four speed automatic?!?!?!? Can SS run okay on regular?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Exclamation

Danko,

Check this out
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...hlight=regular
Old 07-27-2008, 01:07 PM

The wheels were one of the attracting points for me also. By the way, could you young fellows tell an older SS owner what is the best way to clean and protect the stock SS wheels.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JCJSS
The wheels were one of the attracting points for me also. By the way, could you young fellows tell an older SS owner what is the best way to clean and protect the stock SS wheels.
not sure if i'm young enough,but wax them or do like i'm going to do. i'm going to look for ebc low brake dust brake pads.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
one,there are "go fast" parts.

two,for the money you are about to spend to make the car worse,you can have the "go fast" parts.

three,you probably won't find anything that wide. you need to get the offset right. i think the rims are 18x8 on the car already.

four,i've gotten a crap load of compliments about my rims,so have many others. to each his own.

imo,changing rims will add more weight,so when you want to go fast,you will lose some of the benefits of the stock rims,which are forged rims.
M&M
1. Can you list the go fast parts that are available ?
2. Why would a set of rims make MY HHR worse ?
3. Rims are a a roller skate size 7.5, I have found a 8.5 but may have to tweak the offset.
4. I have also have gotten a but load of compliments on the factory wheel but I don't like them and I did not buy MY SS for the rims I bought it to mod the crap out of it but you just can't do that right now until the computer can be unlocked to accept real mods. Not just a filter and a muffler !

Yes you are correct "to each his own"
Old 07-27-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Whitewolf
Some people just have to have their pimp-mobil wheels........To them the wheels are everything.......who cares about the car.....Question......Why piddle around....open up the wheel wells and put a set of 20's X 10's on it. Hey really go for it, say a set of 24's....then you really would have a one of akind........Hey everyone to their own likes.... and I like mine the way it is.......It was one of the things that attracted me to the HHR/SS ....... WW
Fu*k !n laughing my azz off You are just to funny and live a in small box if this is the way that you think "Winner "
Old 07-27-2008, 08:18 PM

Rotflmfao.............
Old 07-28-2008, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Yonash
the only whels i've found that i would trade my stockers for are the OZ Racing 35th Anniversary wheels. they're 18x8, forged, black (mostly), and a multi-spoke design (i really like the look of a multi-spoke on these cars). only reason i don't have them yet, is they are $365 a piece, and i'd have to step up on the tire size if i was going to do that (probably 245/40R18 ike the OP is going to try).

in the meantime, i want to powdercoat my stockers black.

I believe these are the same ones i am about to pick up, gonna look killer on black....and they are only 18 pounds for each wheel....

Quick Reply: Widest rim and tire combo for SS