HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.
View Poll Results: Is your 1st gear boost same/similar to higher gears? (please keep the voting honest)
No stage 1 - same/similar psi in all gears
0%
Stage 1 - same/similar psi in all gears
38.46%
No stage 1 - significantly less psi in 1st gear
0%
Stage 1 - significantly less psi in 1st gear
61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Is your 1st gear boost same/similar to higher gears?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
elevation has alot to do with it also......+ I got the HP Tuners on top of my GM Stage 1 as well.... I always see 24+ in all gears maxed out at 28PSI..trust me 30 PSI you got limp mode....
Exactly. And also temperature. Cold air exhibits more molecular density than warm air, which really equates to more fuel delivery (air in essence is a significant component of fuel).
Old 04-16-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bartSS
With my tune i have boost reduced to 7psi in 1st gear since full boost would be pointless and than from 2-5 im at full boost
Originally Posted by Rainman
Same as Bart for first, second is at 15 then 3rd thru fifth is full 26 form 3000 to 6200
Originally Posted by gcsd3742
elevation has alot to do with it also......+ I got the HP Tuners on top of my GM Stage 1 as well.... I always see 24+ in all gears maxed out at 28PSI..trust me 30 PSI you got limp mode....
Gents above... let's not confuse the issue. In this thread I don't care what you had programed in your aftermarket (trif or other) tune. I will however ask, what your car did before that. TNX

Originally Posted by asanti
Best relevant question here is: manual or auto trans Gas Man? Best thing is to compare w/ the same tranny you have IMO.

Later
Allex
It's a 5 speed aka manual aka stick shift.

However that doesn't cloud the issue in the fact that first gear isn't producing the same power as second and higher.

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Here is something I found from a GM Engineer on the Upgrade kit.

#1 The upgrade kit does not do anything under 2500 RPM. This is to maintain the engine life. The manual transmissions have been reported to fracture the case due to excessive wheel hop. The upgrade kit does not change the transmission calibration in any way.

#2 Power is peaking at 4800 to 5100 rpm. The trans cal is made to take advantage of the torque curve.

#3 There is no difference in the calibration for the decel enleanment. Throttle position is what is used to shut the fuel off.

Either way PSI means little as that is not an indicator of power going to the wheels.

Note even on the no lift shift the PSI stays up but the power is not going to the wheels when you clutch it. Engine management is in effect in first geat and limits power to the wheels. This is why second gear is the one that has the most pull.

First the tranny would not last much with full power in first gear and second FWD cars have enough issues hooking up with the weight transfer. You take off hard the front wheels unload.

Few of us know what the management programs really do as GM rarely speaks on them in detail. Either way the trannys in the HHR were never intended for this much power and are very well protected. Just don't judge the power by the PSI as odds are it is not all going to the wheels.
Thanks Scott, however, I do have a power gauge (hp & torque) and it's running about 40% less in first gear. The car's out of the hole acceleration has dropped the same. I have 9,000 miles on the car and this lack of power has not been there till this issue. This is NOT acceptable!! I will not own this car in this form. PERIOD. It is not what I purchased.