"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

2010 HHR SS Adding turbo gauge to A pillar

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
A different view of Casa's plugs. Pins in both. Same latch connector.

I don't care about the pins or their location. Look at the outer circumference of each plug. The OD are different. One will fit into the other.
Are you and Don saying that GM decided to swap styles of connectors between the HHR and Cobalt?
Ah the early days of Ford. Not only 1/2 year changes but 1/4 year also. Loved it when I had to look at wiring diagrams back in the mid to late 60's on them.
Also not looking at the blue part of the connectors, looking at the "black" tab and lock of each. Blue tab might be the lock to release the wires from back of plug.
Not tonight, but tomorrow, will take my A pillar off and look at how my boost gauge is connected.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Technical Moderator

I posted the connectors from the service manual. Then I GoOgled the part numbers.

It turns out that the picture on the HHR part is not matched to the part number.

Somebody, maybe the vendor of the gauge, changed the sex not style of the connectors. The part attached to the car harness is the male side on the HHR and the female side on the Cobalt. Maybe because the Cobalt may have different gauges for turbo and SC?

The perceived difference in the OD is illusory, they are the same part.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Will those plugs fit into each other ? Maybe, but they wouldn't lock together because they have the same slotted lock because they're both female plugs.
Besides that, both have pins so you wouldn't have a connection.
Male pins plugged to male pins doesn't work.
Did GM change the style between the 2 cars ? It appears they did.

If Casa(Ross) wants me to come to his house and look at mine, I don't mind doing so.
Until then, I think we've drug this along far enough.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:53 AM

Sorry for bringing back a thread over a year old, i was just wondering if Casa fixed his problem? Im planning on picking up a boost guage from a Cobalt in a couple days for my SS Panel and I wanted to know if the dealership helped get you the proper harness plugs. I also read that the plug on the Panels make Cobalt guages plug and play... Is this true?? Thanks so much in advance for your help guys.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Technical Moderator

I think the gauges are different ranges, that may be the difference in the harness.

rewiring plugs is not that difficult. That's why the wires are color coded.

I don't know what "I also read that the plug on the Panels make Cobalt guages plug and play" means.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:40 AM

Hey Don thanks for the quick reply. Its funny cuz when i was thping that i kept re-reading it cuz it sounded like it didntake sense and i guess i ahould have reworded it. I was doing some research on here last night and i read somewhere that the plug on the Cobalt boost guage fits directly into the empty plug in the A-pillar of HHR Panels only. Regular HHRs with back seats and rear windows apparently have a different harness (plug) so u cant directly plug in a cobalt guage unless u change the sex or the pins. Im sorry i know it still sounds stupid..i didnt think that there would be a difference in the empty plug found behind the A-pillar on Regular HHRs and the HHR Panels. Ill try and find the post im talkibg about where Ii read that.Gimme a sec!
Old 07-29-2019, 11:46 AM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/inac...e-%2475-60944/

Haha its actually Casa that posted this a while back... Its in the original post in the link i just posted.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Uncle Moe
Not sure how that can be. The part # is the same for all models, regular SS or panel SS HHR. At least that's the way I remember it when I looked up the part for mine.
I purchased mine when they were still available via GM parts sites.

As far as the Cobalt gauge. One of those gauges (year ?) only goes to 20 lbs boost. The HHR SS gauge goes to 30. The Cobalt difference in gauges reading is probably whether it was on the super charged or the later turbo charged model.
If you want to get one from a Cobalt, be sure to get the one that goes to 30.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the reply George! And the guage is coming from an LNF Cobalt and reads 30psi! I didnt think they were different... Too good to be true i guess lol
Old 07-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Technical Moderator

Backlighting may also be different.

Quick Reply: 2010 HHR SS Adding turbo gauge to A pillar