"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

the all mysterious 2nd horn add on!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:07 PM

I already have the relay wired in, and a separate button to use for the airhorns. My only problem has been finding a power supply in the engine compartment. I have tried the post for power steering and jump starting the car, as well as all of the empty spots in the fuse box. Using the power off the starter motor is a great idea (I was planning on running a line from the battery). I have not looked at the starter yet-how accessable is it?

I realize I will have to run a line to the new radio I plan on installing if I want to use the internal amp in it, but it would be nice not to have to run the wire into the engine compartment also.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:29 AM

Last week added a pair of small horns that were purchased from Wasrshawsky for around $20. After hookup, they were loud enough, but kind of a flat tone. As an experiment, also later installed the original HHR horn, so now have THREE horns! Sound is loud and tone is great. A small relay came with the pair of new horns, which was not used. We just spliced into the wire for the 2 new horns and used the factory plug for the HHR horn. So far, no problems and when holding the horn on for a few seconds, observed the headlghts and they did not dim.

To install, we used Streetrodderbn's method, pulling down the inner front fender panel on driver's side. The whole process took about an hour, including time to jack up the car, install jack stands, pull loose the panel, test and then later install the 3rd (HHR) horn and pop the panel back into place. Us guys from Ohio know how to handle this type of installation, don't we Streetrodder? (And we don't pull front bumpers either).

Fritz45
Old 04-15-2006, 11:35 AM

my air horns came with a relay too i was wondering why it would be needed, i think ima wire it without the relay
Old 04-15-2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by crowbar
my air horns came with a relay too i was wondering why it would be needed, i think ima wire it without the relay
The Relay is provided as a control component. Meaning, most control circuits are limited in current and fused protected anywhere from 5 to 20 amps. Your air horn may require more current than this control circuit can provide. So, the relay is intended to transfer power directly from your battery, through the control circuit of the horn switch on your steering wheel. Remember to also fuse the source circuit to that rated of your air horn.

If you connect your air horn directly, without the relay, you may be risking blowing the control circuit fuse. As with some of the other members are experiencing.

However, I have not analyzed the circuit yet, so I am not completely certain if the circuit is protected by a replaceable fuse or not. I have recently found some circuits to be protected by a "Fuseable link" type or "reset-able" component, which, when tripped, will reset itself after some time. These are very expensive components, which is why they only use them on limited basis.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:57 AM

Anyone added a "oogah" horn yet??
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181
Old 05-02-2006, 12:00 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by jaysz2893
Anyone added a "oogah" horn yet??
Why would anyone want to? Those need to be reserved for the VW Beatles - the old style Beatles!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
Why would anyone want to? Those need to be reserved for the VW Beatles - the old style Beatles!
Just wondering. I have a 1930 Model A Ford that has one, but of course it came with it.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Banned

Wouldn't it make less noise that the current horn on the HHR?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Wouldn't it make less noise that the current horn on the HHR?
I dont think my HHR horn is that bad..

Of couse there is always Hornbalsters.com
Old 05-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Banned

I don't think the HHR horn is that bad also. I rarely use it so I don't see a point in upgading the horn myself. I have better uses for the money. But if my memory serves me correctly I though oogah horns were pretty weak. I still want one of those recordable horns that SIHHR found so I can make it play Move Bi*ch. That would be worth it if the horn is loud enough.

Quick Reply: the all mysterious 2nd horn add on!!