"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

All New HHR Owner's Check This!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I'm glad you asked this crafty.....

On my recently completed vacation I had an opportunity to speak with some old friends that still exist at the Milford Proving Ground and GM Tech Center. In speaking of the HHR they laughed at the "histeria" that had developed over the "loose fuse" issue. They were concerned because many people complained of having this problem......but NOBODY EVER had a fuse pop out to cause an electrical failure in any area (from researching dealer complaint issues in 100,000 consumer vehicles and over 4,000,000 test miles). They informed me that the lid of the fuse cover, under the hood, was specifically designed to prevent this. And, sure enough, after a couple of "beverages" we returned to my HHR and they demonstrated and displayed the design issue.

If you look closely, the inside of the fuse cover is honeycombed (under the drawing stickey) and provides only about and 1/8 inch clearance between the top of the large fuses and the honeycomb.......making it IMPOSSIBLE for the LARGE fuses to pop out.....check it out, guys. The smaller color coded fuses may pop out, but again, there is no record of it, and most of this discussion/concern seems to be centered on the larger fuse near the front of the holder.

An additional note.......

they did trace the unfounded and unsubstatiated claim to this and one other site dedicated to the HHR (after several dealers "clued" them in on customer concerns). It tends to slant our credibility in the wrong direction.

I also discussed several other member/owner concerns with them. But I'll limit my comments to when those issues are mentioned here.
I wondered about this and what I think is the robotic machine that plugs the fuses is set for an optimum pressure/insert depth. I checked mine and found that the 1/16th 0r 1/32nd of an inch tolerance is no big deal. It's not like they were rattling around the engine bay, now were they?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Another "thinking" man !!!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:18 PM

My dash lights, and gages stopped working. I stopped the car, restarted the car, twice. No change. I popped the hood, pressed in the fuses-turned the ignition to run, and the dash lights and gages turned on.
Can I prove that the "loose" fuses were at fault? No. I wasn't in a test lab. I was 150 miles from home, at night, in the pouring rain. I'm glad the first person that experienced something told us about it. Because I believe that it was the fuse block. Whether you believe or not, I don't care.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by jayras
Sorry for the confusion Deb.
In Mike's picture he didn't have a cap on it, so yo may not either..

But here's some pics to help guide you:

That little post is a power supply post for aftermarket parts such as my anti-corrosion module.

follow the red wire to the inline fuse and then to the black connection plug of the anti-corrosion module mounted on the right side wall.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:49 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by MiDan
My dash lights, and gages stopped working. I stopped the car, restarted the car, twice. No change. I popped the hood, pressed in the fuses-turned the ignition to run, and the dash lights and gages turned on.
Can I prove that the "loose" fuses were at fault? No. I wasn't in a test lab. I was 150 miles from home, at night, in the pouring rain. I'm glad the first person that experienced something told us about it. Because I believe that it was the fuse block. Whether you believe or not, I don't care.
I was driving home one night not quite as far as you when I noticed all my gages and lights were out. Even the speedometer I didn't know what to think when I got home I remembered reading about the fuses. I reseated all the fuses and the problem went away. This should remain up it really help me at least I didn't have to go and deal with the dealer again.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:44 PM

so if the lid to the fuse box keeps fuses from falling out, how could your fuse been loose enoug to make your gauges not work?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 PM

A couple of weeks ago wife had the car and called saying she was having problems getting it started. Message on the DIC said service air bag. When she got home I called OnStar to check it out. They said there were three different error code and suggested I take it in. I remebered the thread about loose fuse. I checked and most of them needed to be reseated. The message went away after reseating the fuses.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 PM

I guess I'm the kind of guy who would wear a belt AND suspenders; I have not experienced any problems in my short two week ownership. However, I did check the fuses and more than half were not seated.

Did I prevent a problem? Maybe, maybe not. Better to be safe than....
Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom D
A couple of weeks ago wife had the car and called saying she was having problems getting it started. Message on the DIC said service air bag. When she got home I called OnStar to check it out. They said there were three different error code and suggested I take it in. I remebered the thread about loose fuse. I checked and most of them needed to be reseated. The message went away after reseating the fuses.
For the love of God, any messages related to the airbag system need to be followed up with more than a "well, the problem went away after I pushed in all these fuses that seemed loose". Especially when it popped three codes in the system.

For all the owners that are claiming these middle-of-the-night scenarios, how about taking your cars into the dealership so that whatever problems can be documented and followed up on by the system? If this is SUCH a widespread problem, surely it serves the public interest to have your vehicles examined?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 AM

Interior fuses do not have a lid. Possibility of a loose fuse...no?

Quick Reply: All New HHR Owner's Check This!