"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 PM

My bet would be the TQ is not unlocking the way it's supposed to. i.e. transmission solenoids.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:39 PM

Had the p0014 cel and tc were lit.
I decided to change both of the solenoids at the same time.

My mpg was 20 before the new ones and just did 50 miles in town and hwy reading now is around 28.5
Old 10-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Cool - good job.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 PM

Just passing this along, hoping it will help someone else in the future, I just found out I need to swap out the cam actuators, and the write up is excellent that it shows it's not a hard thing to do, but, in talking with my GM buddy (35+ years GM Master tech) he says, after the swap, DO NOT use oils like 10w-XX, if the owner's manual calls for 5w-XX , or a LIGHT WEIGHT oil, use it. The heavy oil is what sets off the actuators. The thin oil does not.......
Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BQS4
Just passing this along, hoping it will help someone else in the future, I just found out I need to swap out the cam actuators, and the write up is excellent that it shows it's not a hard thing to do, but, in talking with my GM buddy (35+ years GM Master tech) he says, after the swap, DO NOT use oils like 10w-XX, if the owner's manual calls for 5w-XX , or a LIGHT WEIGHT oil, use it. The heavy oil is what sets off the actuators. The thin oil does not.......

Good point - do as the owners manual specifies.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 PM

i changed both my solenoids and cleared the codes freeway mpg is at 30 but the city is only 24-26 mpg
oh and by the way very good write up
Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM

I had the first issue with my 06 HHR. (125,000 miles) I had a shifting issue.. a big clunk when put into geat both in D or R last Friday and some shuttering shifting driving down the road. The car wasn't used Saturday or Sunday and today I drove it and the car ran like always. I took it to my mechanic to read codes. P0010 was the only one that popped up. Parts are unavailable localy but the mechanic ordered the parts and the car goes back Wednesday and the various selinoids will get replaced. I'm too "lazy" (too old) to fix this stuff any more.

I'm sending this link to my mechanic.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Write up was awesome..
Thank you much. It is much appreciated.
Just a side note for anyone not sure which is which...
The intake and Exhaust are labeled on the block as an FYI.
The front is intake and back is exhaust as mentioned in another post inside this thread.
Also if you are going to do this yourself its a good idea to change out your air filter while your at it as the air filter in our HHRs are a pain in the b@lls.
Im going to post a pic of our old solenoid to show what actually happens.
AND BE CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THE CLIP ON THE HARNESS FOR THE SOLENOID
Thanks again to the author and commentors as some of the comments helped in diagnosing the issue for me .
Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I had the first issue with my 06 HHR. (125,000 miles) I had a shifting issue.. a big clunk when put into geat both in D or R last Friday and some shuttering shifting driving down the road. The car wasn't used Saturday or Sunday and today I drove it and the car ran like always. I took it to my mechanic to read codes. P0010 was the only one that popped up. Parts are unavailable localy but the mechanic ordered the parts and the car goes back Wednesday and the various selinoids will get replaced. I'm too "lazy" (too old) to fix this stuff any more.

I'm sending this link to my mechanic.
Lar, you can seriously do this yourself.
2 bracket Bolts in the back of the block.
1 Torx bracket screw in the front of the block
loosen 2 hoses.
Take out old solenoid put new in.
Grab an air filter and change it while you have the engine cover / air filter box off. There are 7 torx screws that hold the filter box together.
Bolt everything back in and your good to go.
YOUR NEVER TOO OLD.
And if your lazy, think of it like this...
Your taking 45 minutes from your day to get some fresh air and sunshine, and in the process of getting air and sun your fixing the car =D
Besides it gets you out of the house so you dont have to listen to the MRS... =D Its like getting recreation time in jail =D
Old 10-30-2013, 11:11 AM

Too hot in Florida to do much work outside. I like to give my mechanic business as he works on my "toy" cars as well. Those cars are a PITA for an old guy to work on. I watched them do the work today and as you say it looked like an easy job. The only "issue" he had was the heat in the engine fishing for the Cam Position Sensor (I think).

He has the scan tool to check and clear the stored error codes.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14