"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 04:48 PM

Thank You WHOPPER ; What an awesome group of HHR people. I will attempt the repair and let you know how is goes. Again Thanks

Dave
Old 10-20-2014, 06:22 AM

Hey folks, Last friday I completed this repair on my '06 2.4 Ecotec HHR (101,956 miles). instructions on page one of the thread and the hint about managing the connector clips in reply 397 were key. repair itself was easy, took less than an hour start to finish,. including swapping all four sparks just because I was already there.

wanted to mention that the valves I got were each marked (cast into the plastic) on the connector receptacles as INT and EXH.

Last edited by Robb; 10-20-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Just did this the other day- had the "check eng. lite" come on a few times. Got it read @ Autozone, and the gent printed out the codes for me. Local dealer had in stock, about $95 for both. Very easy to access after the "Rocket Science Oxygen Inlet Apparatus" is removed.( note: I took that POS off the first week I had the car! Installed an AIRAID system to the car. Very Satisfied with that. Got 99K on the car now.) the two solenoids were a little dirty. Replaced, and no lite as of yet. ( 500 miles)
Old 12-02-2014, 07:33 AM

Had the solenoid changed, they butt connected the connector (as I didn't have the pic for the connector and I destroyed mine).
Now about 18 months later, I am getting the T/C and Check engine light again.
It all started when I had a headlight out and went away when it was replaced.
They are intermittent, sometimes together.
Dealer says it is throwing codes that indicate the solenoid is bad.
Could it be the butt connector?
Hate to pay the dealer $$$$$$ for a simple fix.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by coyote2ears
Had the solenoid changed, they butt connected the connector (as I didn't have the pic for the connector and I destroyed mine).
Unless you state the exact code (not a verbal description) we can't even enter into a discussion. Sorry.

Post the code and we'll see what we can point you towards.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Headlight out , T/C and a CEL X2 what Whooper posted and double check you fuse box and ground wires
Old 12-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Technical Moderator

If redoing the butts is an easy job why not give it a shot? Would damage be done?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by coyote2ears
Oh no coyote2ears,

I'm sorry to hear this. Repair costs can definitely be a bummer. It's great to know we have our wonderful forum members for some technical insights! If you decide that you would like to return to the dealership or if any support is needed on my end feel free to PM your info!

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 AM

Hello Chevy HHR Group - I would like to thank "Whopper" for the detailed instructions on how to change out both the Intake as well as the Exhaust solenoids. Picked up both solenoids at the a local Chevrolet dealers using the Part Number 1265-5420 for the Intake and Part Number 1265-5421 for the Exhaust Solenoid. The cost for both was $ 75.76. Completed the job in just over a hour. It took longer to keep all of the foreign matter from going into the holes and cleaning the mounting surface. It has cleared both the "T/C" and "Engine" lights. Drove 20 miles and NO problems. Again, Thanks for the Great procedure, it made the replacement job so easy.

Best Buddy
South Barrington, Illinois
2006 Chevy HHR - 2LT - Silverstone (88,888 miles)
Old 12-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Glad it worked out for you and the posters above. Feel free to chime in with any additional tips and hints you feel others may benefit from.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14