"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Don you mean page 1 post 1 has that info! as I read it yes it does!
Glad I don't have those VVT thingy's
Old 06-28-2015, 01:36 PM

I just changed BOTH the intake and exhaust actuators for $50.00 and I noticed when the dealership did a replacement of ONLY the intake actuator they DID NOT replace the safety clip on the connector. I had an extra safety clip in my tool box.

I would think that when the dealer replaced the intake actuator, that it would replace the exhaust actuator at the same time. I'm just saying!
Old 06-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ijazzu
I would think that when the dealer replaced the intake actuator, that it would replace the exhaust actuator at the same time. I'm just saying!
That's a hard call to make - the exhaust actuator might have run forever. It's one of those "6 of one/half dozen of the other" situations. If it was done under warranty, the dealer will only replace the defective part (unless the owner wants to cough up the cash to replace the other one).

I've usually recommended if an owner is doing it themselves on their own nickel, to replace both at the same time - more so that one doesn't have to tear it apart a second time, and due to the part being not that pricey now. When I did mine, the local dealer in Canada wanted $150 each for them, but I managed to get them down to $75 each I think it was.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Please read from first page , MPC3227
Old 07-29-2015, 08:20 AM

Unhappy

OK, so I have spent a few frustrating days perusing the "interweb" thing and have found this thread to be the most helpful.

However, the engine in my 2008 HHR LS doesn't have the sensors on top of the motor as in the pictures.

Everything I have found online is either the wrong car, the wrong motor or something so far off in left field that I no longer have the patience to scroll through 10 million posts.

Sorry about that.

What I have found with regards to the location of the solenoids on my vehicle are the "helpful" comments like "on the front" or some other vague comment but no specifics or pics like at the beginning of the thread.

They may be in the 56 some odd pages of this thread but at this point I've run out of the patience required and I just need an answer so I can get the car running.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:04 AM

Scott, If you are asking for the location of the VVT solenoids they are to the left "if looking from the front of the car) of the coil packs under the giant air filter housing. However, given that you have a 2008 LS model my guess is that you have the 2.2 which did not come with VVT even as an option (I think the 2.2 got VVT in 2009)..... I am pretty sure only the 2.4 had VVT. In this case it would make sense for you to be missing those solenoids. If I am wrong someone correct me. I have a 2006 LT with 2.4 and changed both solenoids myself last summer so I know where they are.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Answer to what? You did not specify what engine you have (2.2L or 2.4L?). As well noted at the start of this thread not all 2.2L's were VVT equipped (double overhead camshafts), which means no Camshaft actuator solenoids. So if that is what you are looking for on a 2.2, if that is what you have, they many not exist.

You mention sensors at first then use the term solenoids - so I am not sure what you are looking for - or WHY you are looking in the first place.

So explain what engine you have, and what the problem is that led you on this search - ie: if the Engine Check light is on, post the code that was downloaded, and we will see what we can do to help.

Last edited by whopper; 07-29-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo fixed - there may be others ;)
Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 AM

Solenoids. I meant solenoids. Sorry Whopper, after reading through all the posts I see where you can get irritated.

The engine is a 2.2 and along searching the entire thread I see where there apparently are no solenoids as aradmahogany points out. I just have no idea why the solenoids were suggested when I bought the parts for the 2.2 if they don't have them...

It started with a CEL and when I got the code (P0016) I did a bit of research and found where some information pointed to the timing chain tensioner (which I replaced), some to the solenoids and others to both. I figure these would be cheaper/less of a headache to change before tearing in to the timing chain.

I figured if I was going to tackle this thing I might get what info I could so imagine my surprise to not find the solenoids where everyone else finds them. But to be honest, if it is weird or unusual, it will happen to me.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the background - that helps to explain the background good.

Not irritated, more like frustrated - as a lot of people get messed up between the solenoid/sensor terms - including the auto parts people that dole out parts, and cause a lot of confusion.

Anyways, here are a couple items that you may find helpful -
cam sensor location (but in the end the timing chain needed replacing) - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-needed-38696/

symptoms and causes of the dreaded p0016 code: P0016 Crankshaft Camshaft Position Correlation DTC

Hope this helps
Old 07-29-2015, 11:10 AM

Just to further muddle the water: there are sensors, valves and solenoid. All 3 have longer names with the same words shared among them.

Technically the subject of this thread is "VVT Solenoid VALVES". The actual Solenoids are on the camshaft gears, sometimes called phasers on other cars.

We are guilty of not being precise enough in using the terminology. And interminable threads add to the problem, becaus information gets buried.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14