"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Good on disconnecting the battery. At this point, I'd attach a code reader and see if any codes were generated. Run the codes by us here, and we'll see what we can come up with.

If it doesn't give any codes, I'd suggest having a dealer take a look at it.

I wouldn't think the air filter would be related, but sounds like it definitely needs replacement.

Oh, you are sure you used the replacement solenoids in the right place - the exhaust one for the exhaust side etc.? they are different part numbers, so I don't expect they are interchangeable. Also, make sure your oil is topped up, and if it has been a long time since an oil change, or is overdue, give it an oil/filter change as well (the solenoids use oil to drive them somehow)
Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

The variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid (also called the Camshaft Position (CMP) actuator) is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to Crankshaft Position (CKP). The variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid is controlled by the control module. The control module sends a pulse width modulated 12 volt signal to a variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow. The variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid can change the camshaft angle a maximum of 25°. The control module increases the pulse width to accomplish the desired camshaft operation.

Removal & Installation

2.4L Engine

Remove the intake manifold cover.
Disconnect the intake (3) or exhaust (2) variable camshaft timing oil control solenoids, as required.
Remove the exhaust (1) variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid bolt and valve, as required.
Remove the intake (2) variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid bolt and valve, as required.
Inspect the solenoid valve O-ring seals for damage. Replace as necessary.

To install:

Lubricate the solenoid valve O-ring seals with clean engine oil.
Install the intake (2) variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid valve and bolt, as required. Tighten the bolt to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
Install the exhaust (1) variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid valve and bolt, as required. Tighten the bolt to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
Connect the intake (3) or exhaust (2) variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid valve electrical connector, as required.
Install the intake manifold cover.

Testing

Ensure the vehicle has the proper oil viscosity.
Observe the engine oil level. The engine oil level should be within the operating range.
Allow the engine to reach operating temperature.
Increase the engine speed to 1,500 RPM.
Command each solenoid to 25 percent. The angle desired parameter should match the solenoid actual parameter.

Component Testing

Measure the resistance of each variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid valve assembly. Resistance should be between 8-12 ohms.
Connect a jumper wire between the variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid low reference circuit at the solenoid and a good ground.
Connect a fused jumper wire to the high control circuit at the solenoid.
Momentarily touch the fused jumper to B+.
Observe the spool valve inside the variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid. The spool valve should move from fully closed to fully opened position.
If the spool valve does not move, replace the variable camshaft timing oil control solenoid.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 AM

ok, so I'm having this code pop up now. Went to AutoZone and it said the same as the OP. Dude erased the code...came back about 40 miles later. Had it checked on the way home and it was the same code. Went to AutoZone at lunch, just now, and the CEL was off, but the code remained.

Here is where it gets cornfusing...AutoZone and O'Reilley Autoparts list the same part (#su9540) for the Camshaft position sensor on the '06 2.4L. They carry the same part, but it doesn't match the parts on the car. Called the Chevy dealer and the part Delco # 213-1690 brings up part #su9540 at both of the autoparts stores. Again...doesn't match the part in the car. Has a head on it that resembles the coil packs but the bolt is in-line, like the cam sensor. Not barrel like, like the cam sensor shown in first post of this thread. Any suggestions? Did they change the part???

Pic of GM part#213-1690
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACDEL...-/110689520456
Pic of AutoZone part#su9540
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=793842

As of right now, the CEL is off...I'm fully expecting it to come back on
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM

Don't confuse "Sensor" with "Solenoid"
Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM

Is that the issue? I asked dood at Autozone if there was a difference, and he said nay. I'll check for solenoids.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM

and....it came back on this morning. So, never really got an answer from anyone: is it the cam SENSOR or the cam SOLENOID/ACTUATORS that need to be replaced? I found both of the solenoid/actuators at a dealer not far from here, but don't want to throw (more) good $ at the problem without confirmation.

12628348 and 12628347 are the part #'s for the SOLENOIDS, but you all probably figured that out in the first post...I'm a little slow :)

Edit: Found them at a dealer 7 miles from the office...$100 for both. Hoping this does the job.

Last edited by SmootHHR; 07-19-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM

[QUOTE=SmootHHR;577890]ok, so I'm having this code pop up now.

SmootHHR, what code are you getting?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 AM

p0011, replaced the intake solenoid last night and all seems to be well so far. Will keep ya posted with any updates. Was going to replace both, but when I got to the dealer, low and behold, they didn't have the exhaust.

Autozone scanner said "bank A" dealer quick scanner said "bank 1" and the service guy said that intake is usually bank 1 and that is the one that they had. *fingers crossed*
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 AM

EcoTecs only have a "bank 1" as do all 4 cyl. engines. Only "V" engines have a "bank 2".

Hopefully your problem is solved, though.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by JoeR
EcoTecs only have a "bank 1" as do all 4 cyl. engines. Only "V" engines have a "bank 2".

Hopefully your problem is solved, though.
And that was my exact arguement, but that is how the scanners listed it. It'd be much easier if they just listed intake and exhaust. I spent more time trying to figure out what they meant by bank a/1 than anything else, but nobody seemed to know what it meant.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14