"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Dome light turn around...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:19 PM

my question is when you break the glue doesn't it cause a rattle on you headliner?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MCT
Ok, I must be a bloody idiot. No, You're just being careful..That's a good thing..

I pop off the lens to the light. You should have 3 seperate lenses in the dome light.. Good, then you look for the hook style clips. I have no idea about using the screwdirver to push back on the two clips. Mine has 4 hook style clips.

Cannot find any clips once the lens is off, (unless you are still talking about the four clips for the clear lens cover. Didn't need a screwdriver, I just popped it off). No, not the lenses, after all 3 lenses are off, look up into the insides, in 4 seperate equally spaced locations are hook style clips that attach the outer housing to the inner white-light housing.. Hook/clips are kinda like your 2 hands w/fingers folded & hands held together, by folded fingers.
From there on, I'm lost. OK, when you locate them, just carefully push back on 1 hook/clip at a time & release it. & get all 4 released, then remove the outer lense housing. Pretty pathetic considering everything else I am usually able to do. Once you do this, later you will laugh how simple it is.,. When you are talking about "The housing should snap off leaving the light housing", are we still talking about the white plastic light bulb/switch 'housing' YES we are !!! or just the clear lens?

How do I get the white plastic light bulb/switch housing out/turned around/undone???? This housing partially spins around now, is that all you are doing? Yes, but generally it seems the wiring is a bit too short for the full 180* turn. So you must study the inner housing & locate its 3 places that hold it up in ceiling. Then work inner housing to one side & get 1 of the flat holders down under the headliner, then work light housing to get other 2 down & free.. Then you need to reach up inside headliner & try to loosen wires, they will likely be glued to headliner, you need to get some extra wiring freed up to spin light 180* Once you have some wiring freed up you can see if inner housing will rotate 180* near headliner. Don't put it back in till you have enough wire for the spin. Once that is achieved, carefully re-assemble. With dome now spun 180*....
Then after outer housing is back on wipe bulbs & install lenses.
Maybe I have the 'retarded' housing that isn't like everyone elses'. If you have 3 lenses, it should be the same IMO.

Mine is an 08
Thanks for any help and a further explanation.
Billy

Hope I haven't further confused you ??
Old 09-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Talking

Originally Posted by chadpuska
my question is when you break the glue doesn't it cause a rattle on you headliner?
Good question: I added some silicone to the headliner inside on mine, & laid the wiring in it.. So glued again.

No rattles to report at this time... Also, I only loosened enuff wiring to make the spin..
Old 09-28-2009, 08:58 PM

Well i have had mine in a few times for the rattle up there and they always say they had to glue down some wires.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chadpuska
Well i have had mine in a few times for the rattle up there and they always say they had to glue down some wires.
Interesting, I've not experienced that (as yet)..
Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 PM
MCT

Ok,

I deleted my post because I finally figured it out, and there are some original omissions, so.... since my original post was resurrected by Billy, (thanks for the explanation!), I will explain.

I just pulled the complete lens cover off. No problems, no removing individual map light/main lens, no priying four fingers off. The whole thing came off, no problems.

Once you realize there is a magnet holding the white housing in-place it becomes so much easier to understand. (I thought there were some type of clips, etc., holding the white housing in. Nope, just a magnet).

Pull down the headliner a bit so you can get the electrical wiring clip, at the front of the white housing, undone. You need to work the white housing down a little through the hole in the headliner so you can pry up the small clip that happens to be on top of your wiring clip. A mirror shoved up next to it will reveal the clip. Gently pry up with a small screwdriver and pull out the grey electrical wiring clip. It will have a grey, blue and black wire. Now just shove the white housing out of the way, pulling the headliner down a bit will allow you to do this.

Now, there may be enough wire if you stick your arm far enough up into the ceiling area to loosen it. I got just enough slack so I could bring the wire down out of the headliner hole and lengthened the wires by five or six inches. A bit of soldering and heat shrink and your'e all good. No sticking your arm up to your armpit into the roof area by doing it this way. May add an extra half-hour, but your wires aren't straining against anything.

Now bring your white housing back into play by pulling down on the headliner and working it back into the hole area. Plug the wiring plug back in and rotate the whole mess around so the main light faces forward.

Now, to put the lens housing back up it may behoove you to remove the large clear lens from the, (in my case), grey housing. The two clips near the maplight snapped right in, but the front clips were a bit recalictrant. I used a piece of safety wire to make a loop around the clip and pulled the clip down while I pushed up on the lens housing. Then did the same for the other side. Snap in the main clear housing, which should be facing forward after all of this work, and enjoy more light to the front.

If the original post hadn't got so detailed about removing housings and clips and stuff and it was explained the white housing had a magnet holding it in place, it would have been a lot simpler for me to understand. So hopefully this will help someone who isn't quite sure what they are getting into. Not a lot of work really, it is quite simple.

Cheers,
Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Talking

Well, I would say there certainly seem to be differences in dome light attachment types. After-all, Chevrolet is using these in different models too.

1st member had only 2 clips in his description.

Mine has 4 hook/clips & NO MAGNETS what so-ever. And my wiring now has only enough slack to be safe & sound, & no cutting the oem harness.

& Marty has a magnet..

That's seems to be (at least so far) 3 different methods of securing the light to headliner by GM.

Does it matter ?? No, end result is the same

"Dome Light Spin" is a winner IMO..

Cost = $ 0.00
Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 AM
MCT

I agree, big difference in lighting. Too bad Chevy cut some corners in putting the stock light in the back of the panel truck. If they only had one with a full lens to the front and one to the rear it would have solved that problem.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SSguy

"Dome Light Spin" is a winner IMO..
Add Some LED's to the Dome and Your a Double Winner :twothumbs!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM

Agreed!!!

Quick Reply: Dome light turn around...