"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Just remember that saying: " You get what you pay for".
True... I guess I need to make sure that this is the issue!!! Still running fine for now!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the pictoral on the procedure, and the followup about the wires, could be very helpful someday
Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by rroadkilll
Thanks for this info... I have a feeling that I will be doing this soon!!!

Now just to find a cheap pump!!!
Well... I think it is now THAT TIME!!!

Came out of church and all it would do is turn over...

I know I am low on fuel, light NOT on, so tomorrow I will put a gallon in it and see if she will start!

Is this something that is covered under warranty???
Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM

level sensor

I have the Delco OEM fuel pump and lever sensor. The wiring from the car to the pump has a purple signal feed to the sending unit and an orange and black striped wire for the return. On the underside of the pump these two wires are blue. Now I have only two wires but three connections points on the level sensor. _3_2______1_ two on one side and one on the other. I can't find anything with Delco or on the internet. If I put the blue wires in 2 and 3 in any direction I get the same ohm reading when I move the float. But my gas gauge still doesn’t work. Computer reading says low input. Any advice appreciated.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by jamesfraley
I have the Delco OEM fuel pump and lever sensor. The wiring from the car to the pump has a purple signal feed to the sending unit and an orange and black striped wire for the return. On the underside of the pump these two wires are blue. Now I have only two wires but three connections points on the level sensor. _3_2______1_ two on one side and one on the other. I can't find anything with Delco or on the internet. If I put the blue wires in 2 and 3 in any direction I get the same ohm reading when I move the float. But my gas gauge still doesn’t work. Computer reading says low input. Any advice appreciated.
Did you look at the first post in this thread? Pics included.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the tutorial. Just did my wife's '06 today. It was a job...but the local dealership wanted $780 to fix it. Quoted me a pump price of $360, and the rest was labor. So...a quick visit to Rock Auto later, and I discovered that shipping & everything for the OE part was just under $190.

Not sure if you had to deal with this on yours, but the only way I could get enough room to maneuver the tank out was to take the exhaust loose at the CC flange (kinda scary, did not want to break those bolts...and they were quite rusty) and dropping the rubber hangers for the tailpipe/muffler assembly.

A floor jack definitely helps raise, lower, and hold the tank while you're fiddling around...and to get the exhaust reassembled.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 AM

Caution If Fuel Gauge Is Reading Low Or Inop

After I filled up the tank I noticed that the gauge was reading less than 1/4 full. When I had the recalled ignition switch replaced, I talked with a local Chevy mechanic at Bellamy-Stricklend in Stockbridge, GA, who said the problem was most likely the sensor, which is part of the fuel pump assembly. I ordered a new pump/sensor (always get a GM part) and decided to run out the remaining gas in the tank, by using the trip miles, so the tank wouldn't be so heavy when I pulled it. The gauge started reading lower and lower and said empty when I knew I had only put about 50 miles on the car since I filled it up. The HHR let me set along side of the road as I believe the computer thought the tank was empty even though I had over 3/4 tank of fuel. I had to call a tow truck and was thankful I was only about 7 miles from home. The moral of this story is if you are have problems with the gas gauge, fix it immediately, so the car does not let you sit along side of the road like mine did.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ollie Octopus
After I filled up the tank I noticed that the gauge was reading less than 1/4 full. When I had the recalled ignition switch replaced, I talked with a local Chevy mechanic at Bellamy-Stricklend in Stockbridge, GA, who said the problem was most likely the sensor, which is part of the fuel pump assembly. I ordered a new pump/sensor (always get a GM part) and decided to run out the remaining gas in the tank, by using the trip miles, so the tank wouldn't be so heavy when I pulled it. The gauge started reading lower and lower and said empty when I knew I had only put about 50 miles on the car since I filled it up. The HHR let me set along side of the road as I believe the computer thought the tank was empty even though I had over 3/4 tank of fuel. I had to call a tow truck and was thankful I was only about 7 miles from home. The moral of this story is if you are have problems with the gas gauge, fix it immediately, so the car does not let you sit along side of the road like mine did.
Did the new pump fix it?
I have noticed that my 2011 will start to sputter when there is a half gallon left. I did manage to get up the Blue Ridge sputtering all the way, coasted down the other side 15 miles and only needed 15.3 gallons to fill.
I think more likely your pump just finally quit.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:35 PM

Hello Ollie Octopus,

Oh no! I definitely understand how that can be frustrating to be left on the side of the road because the computer in your vehicle thought the tank was empty. I do apologize that you were in that vehicle situation but I am happy that the issue was resolved.

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-03-2014, 03:34 PM

Today I filled 15.456 gallons, without going up the neck, with no problems on my 2011 LT.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement