"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Hijacking The Xm Radio Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 04:59 PM

I split the antenna to keep the XM intact. When I sell the car all I have to do is remove my Starmate and the XM preview still works. I won't have to be pulling wires out and tearing out the back panel again to hook the XM back up. It's already done.

You are correct on the crimping tool. I used a generic from Home Depot. (But then again, I'm not selling this product, I believe that's your job....)

jerij
Old 11-26-2006, 11:20 PM

Nice job!

That's some tricky work there, but there's one problem:

The XM antenna is designed to reject Sirius signals. See, the XM and Sirius bands are right next to each other, so there is some heavy filtering going on at the antenna's end to clear out competing signals. In satellite-only areas, this isn't a problem, however, when you get near a repeater (of which XM owns a TON) it's going to crush the Sirius signal.

You might notice some cutouts going under tunnels or through downtown areas, this isn't a loss of reception but the XM repeater signal nuking the filtered Sirius signal. To double check, throw a Sirius antenna on the roof, well away from the XM antenna so it won't shadow it, and drive the same stretch during the same time of day.

It works the other way around, Sirius antennas generally make lousy XM antennas. They probably work fine in the middle of nowhere, but once you hit an urban area with repeaters, it will start to go bonkers.

Just, you know, FYI :)
Old 11-27-2006, 08:00 AM

looks good!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by jbmcb
That's some tricky work there, but there's one problem:

The XM antenna is designed to reject Sirius signals. See, the XM and Sirius bands are right next to each other, so there is some heavy filtering going on at the antenna's end to clear out competing signals. In satellite-only areas, this isn't a problem, however, when you get near a repeater (of which XM owns a TON) it's going to crush the Sirius signal.

You might notice some cutouts going under tunnels or through downtown areas, this isn't a loss of reception but the XM repeater signal nuking the filtered Sirius signal. To double check, throw a Sirius antenna on the roof, well away from the XM antenna so it won't shadow it, and drive the same stretch during the same time of day.

It works the other way around, Sirius antennas generally make lousy XM antennas. They probably work fine in the middle of nowhere, but once you hit an urban area with repeaters, it will start to go bonkers.

Just, you know, FYI :)
Never had that problem. (I've mixed antennas dozens of times.) I'm pretty sure that between Seattle and Tacoma there are plenty of terrestrial repeaters. It's still not recommended to mix antennas, but it's not nearly as bad as you describe. I'd compare the difference in reception similar to say, putting a stubby antenna on your HHR vs the stock FM antenna...
Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 AM

jbmcb,

I live in Nashville and have both repeaters almost everywhere. I've had no problem with this setup for THIS car. It may occur however, with the Pontiac I'm about to do it to, though.

jerij
Old 01-13-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Too bad the stock head unit could not be converted
I believe there is a Sirius brainbox to replace the xm unit. I`ve heard of people replacing it and still using the factory head unit. try www.sirius.com or http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1152812370950
Old 01-13-2007, 08:54 PM

wonder what's gonna happen when XM and Sirius merge?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by JimZ_HHR
wonder what's gonna happen when XM and Sirius merge?
Twice the channels!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HHR Forever
Twice the channels!
If you were joking....you're closer to the truth than you realize.

According to the analysts, the 2 providers use different technologies and are not compatible. So the service itself probably would not become the same or one would not be eliminated. The thought regarding this (merging has been a rumor for a long time...both companies are losing "gobs" of money) is that one will buy the other and keep the separate services (anyone see a monopoly here) and maybe separate identities or optional levels...XM1 or XM2 (Sirrius), for example. And then diversify the programming so there is little duplication and each would have its own identity.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Wasn't joking that time, heard the same thing Snoopy just said on MSNBC a while back.

Quick Reply: Hijacking The Xm Radio Antenna