"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to: convert your LS or 1LT to a 2LT

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 AM

Sounds like a lot of time, trouble, and money for whatever benefit you'd actually get for it all! And swap engines??!! Yeah, right!!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
Sounds like a lot of time, trouble, and money for whatever benefit you'd actually get for it all! And swap engines??!! Yeah, right!!
Well,
I'll answer in reverse order. Yup a swap would be ludicrous.
Benefit - in the beholder
Money - well its cheaper.
Time/trouble - this is the how-to section.

Seth
Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Not meaning to be disagreeable, but in my area, the used HHR's are all over the boards in price. I bought an '09 2LT with 12k miles for less than most places were asking for '08's. I don't think many dealers have any idea what a 1LT or a 2LT even is. Most couldn't tell the difference in a 2.4 or 2.2 either. Certainly not a $3k to $5k difference here....if any at all. A thrifty, internet savvy shopper will find a 2LT for the same money as a 1LT. Best wishes, Marc
Old 09-10-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
Not meaning to be disagreeable, but in my area, the used HHR's are all over the boards in price. I bought an '09 2LT with 12k miles for less than most places were asking for '08's. I don't think many dealers have any idea what a 1LT or a 2LT even is. Most couldn't tell the difference in a 2.4 or 2.2 either. Certainly not a $3k to $5k difference here....if any at all. A thrifty, internet savvy shopper will find a 2LT for the same money as a 1LT. Best wishes, Marc
I don't think you're being disagreeable - you are right on the money. But I am talking about asking prices, not transaction prices. I have no idea what the wiggle room is in the dealer prices and everything is under KBB.
I've been scouring the ads nationwide in autotrader, craigslist, cars.com, and oodle.com and 1LT and 2LT are mixed up, and the options are all over the place (so strange since there are so few).
The prices obviously are regional, and probably color dependent (blue is cheaper than silver, black interior is cheaper than tan, etc.)
The cheapest advertised 1LT I've been able to find with all the options is a hair over $13k, the cheapest without anything is in a hair under $12k.
The advertised 2LT's are 16k minimum.
Most asking prices are much higher in both categories. That's why I think the $5k is a safe number to represent as of this writing, but as you make note, the prices change all the time, and will go down closer to year end as the next model year rolls out.

Can someone 'win' by finding a 2LT advertised as 1LT, sure, but I'm just pointing out the more likely scenario.

Seth

P.S. The $3k difference is if you bought the parts at the counter (ignoring the engine) if your model did not come with them.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:43 PM

I am sure the Cash for Clunkers situation has driven up used car prices too....at least it seems so around here. There was an '08 2LT (white/tan) that I test drove, but noticed that it had corrosion on the engone block, calipers, etc. Since it was from Florida, I am betting it was a car at the beach somewhere (I am from the beach, so I know what it looks like). It had 26k miles and they were asking $12,900. I turned it down due to the corrosion. I ended up buying my '09 2LT (12k miles) for $15,100 out the door right before the clunkers program. I later looked online, and the corroded '08 was listed at $16,998! The same car. I hope they hold it for quite a while. God Bless, Marc
Old 09-10-2009, 11:26 PM

Ok I converted my LT1 to an LT2.
07 HHR 2.4 Sunburst orange
These options didnt seem important to me in 07 as I was just trying to add a cheap 2nd vehicle but as The HHR grew on me I chose to add them - BTW I like the soft ride of the LT1 over the stiff LT2. Also You cant get the color Sunburst Orange today or I might have traded up.
================================================== ===
Mods Todate: Added by me
1.) Rear sway bar
2.) Stubby Equinox antenna
3.) 09 USB Radio
4.) Invision DVD Headrests
5.) Two-tone (black-silver) seat covers
6.) HomeLink auto-dimming rear mirror
7.) Rear panel A/C plug
8.) Factory Fog Lamps
9.) Steering wheel radio buttons
10.) 09 leather shifter
11.) Running boards
12.) Mud flaps
13.) Rear Bumper Fascia Protector
14.) 06 17" Rims
15.) Chevy SSR two-tone horn (way louder)
16.) Tinted forward windows
17.) Chevy PAL > taken out..Bla!
I should have just bought a LT2 :)