"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How To: General Exterior Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:25 AM

How To: General Exterior Bulb Replacement

Just got done doing some work for the Wife's HHR. At 40,500 miles 2007 we finally had some bulbs burn out, No biggie.

So when doing one that has gone out, you do them as a pair. Also to note, the internet, including this site has some great resources. Some vary and technique and process but everyone does what they feel comfortible with.

Head Lights:

Very easy and takes about 10-15 minutes with some patience mixed in.

- Engine on/running, the front of the wheel that faces the bumper needs to be turned in all the way max into the wheel well. Engine off.

- 7mm Socket for the top bolt in the wheel well, near the bumper corner.

- Using a "Door Panel" pry bar tool and a rag (to protect paint), Pry off the 2 fasteners on the inside lip of the wheel well to bumper cover.

- Pull back the liner and reach up and you will feel the bulb, you can look into the head light to see it turn, then pull out. The bulb will reach the liner and pull out of socket (there is a locking tab). Also if the red gasket is not on there, reach back in and get it, the new bulb will NOT seat correctly if you dont.

- Also to note, do not touch the bulb, oil shortens life. The bulb has 3 tabs but one is larger then the other 2 so that means you need to have it seated correctly befor turning (locking). Not hard but will take a minute.

- Pop back on the fasteners, and 7mm bolt. The turn wheel all the way the opposite and do the other side.

*** I did go one step hotter bulb and when I did the burned out side first I checked and noticed a good difference. If I can get 20-30k ill be happy. No wheel removal, no bumper removal. EASY!

Front Bumper Markers (Yellow):

- Same process as head light bulbs. You reach in the same spot, turn/twist, pull out, remove bulb, reinstall, careful on finger oil.

Signal Lights:

- I did not do them today but generally same process for head light bulbs, just need to feel for it, twist, replace, reinstall/lock

Tail Lights/Turn Signal:

- Open Rear Hatch

- Pry off inspection panel near where the lights would be.

- Reach in, twist, remove, take out old, reinstall new, twist/lock, reinstall panel

Center Brake Light

- Open Rear Hatch

- Reach up near the top/glass, pry on center plastic molding

- Try to be careful, will crack/break if your not easy.

- Pop off enough till you get access to the 4 bulbs, twist, remove, reinstall and push plastic molding back on.

Note: I broke passanger side clip (stuck), the 2 middle came out, and cracked the left, yes it did suck but I hate grey and look fwd to an interior swap in the future, no rattles.

Rear Side Marker:

- Philips head screw driver on the outside bolt

- Lift out lense

- Twist bulb out, replace, reinstall.

Thats basically it. I did not have a chance to do the lic plate bulbs so if someone wants to add, feel free to. Most times its common sense and not that tough.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 AM

License plate bulbs:

Raise liftgate so bulb-covers are at eye-level. Use torx driver to remove the one screw in each cover. Pull off covers. It may require some gentle prying as there is an adhesive pad under them. Pull out old bulbs, push in new bulbs. Reattach covers with torx screws without overtightening. Test at eye-level so you can see that they both work properly.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Hopefully it helps someone. I must say I do like the 1 step hotter bulbs.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the write up. It will come in handy tomorrow when I have to replace my headlamp bulbs. I too am upgrading to a stronger Sylvainia Silverstar High Performance bulb. The towns have lowered the street lighting around here so much they may as well have taped some flashlights to the poles... -_-
Old 08-31-2012, 09:23 PM

nice write up! I have big arms....so the headlight thing takes a lot of patience
Old 10-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Did mine. The first set lasted almost 105k miles. I put in some Silverstars and saved the one that was still working (but noticeably dimmer) as a backup.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:35 PM

Front & Rear Side Marker Bulb Replacement

Just wanted to say a BIG thank you for this bulb replacement info. I appreciate the heck out of you folks on this forum!!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:28 AM

I've had to replace the right turn signal bulb twice. A PITA if you ask me. Prying the fender liner out of the way to access the panel. If I had to do the head light, I may remove the wheel just to have easier access to the head light.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM

yes replacing the headlamp is a PITA! I have to do it tomorrow and did one already about 2 years ago. I had to remove more panel screws than the book states to have adequate access and enough room for half of my arm to access the bulb.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:22 PM

Old thread, thought I'd throw in my Just put a headlight bulb in yesterday.

OP says to turn the wheels all the way in. This makes it a bit easier to remove the screw on the inner fender. But I could not pull back the inner fender enough to get my hand in there far enough to get to the bulb holder.

I thought I remembered someone here suggesting to turn the wheel all the way out, so I tried that. That was the ticket! All kind of room now to reach the bulb holder!

Perhaps it's that the SS has larger tires, making the OPs method not work. But I don't think they're that much bigger.