"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to install drop Springs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 PM

A few pics from the install as requested. No before and after, unfortunately, because all I really set out to do was get the snow tires off. (Wasn't about to reassemble everything and take it off the jackstands just for "before" pics.) You'll have to pardon the filthy wheels -- winter grime plus old brake dust isn't a great look.

Stock and Gold-Line springs:

New springs and shocks installed:

Passenger side after:

Driver's side after:
Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Sitting good now !!!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 AM

Looks great Did you change the shocks too? If not-don't forget that when you put your car on a lift, the factory shocks will not hold the rear axle tight enough to keep the shorter springs in place. You have to hold them in position as you lower the car. I got a set of shorter shocks to solve the problem.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Looks great Did you change the shocks too? If not-don't forget that when you put your car on a lift, the factory shocks will not hold the rear axle tight enough to keep the shorter springs in place. You have to hold them in position as you lower the car. I got a set of shorter shocks to solve the problem.
Yes, I installed shorter shocks as well. (You can kinda see the white shock in the second pic labeled "New springs and shocks installed.")
Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 AM

They really make a nice improvement in handling, as well as looks. Have you put in a rear sway bar yet? Takes just a few minutes and helps alot.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM

They really make a nice improvement in handling, as well as looks. Have you put in a rear sway bar yet? Takes just a few minutes and helps alot.
Yes, I installed a TTR rear sway bar at the same time.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Nice set up
Old 05-27-2013, 05:51 AM

Now enjoy the better looks and handling. Another popular mod was/is removing the rear windshield wiper. Since the back glass is vertical, it is not really necessary and the car looks much better without it.

Also, have you changed your dashboard dimmer yet? A new style can be modified to fit, and then you get to control the interior lights in the back. Simple and very nice to have. Only applies to the 06 model.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Now enjoy the better looks and handling. Another popular mod was/is removing the rear windshield wiper. Since the back glass is vertical, it is not really necessary and the car looks much better without it.
Driving six hours in pouring rain today, the rear wiper was definitely necessary. With as many blind spots as this thing has, I need as much clear glass as I can get. Rear wiper is definitely staying put.

Also, have you changed your dashboard dimmer yet? A new style can be modified to fit, and then you get to control the interior lights in the back. Simple and very nice to have. Only applies to the 06 model.
Haven't heard anything about this mod. Guess I'll have to do some searching.

EDIT: Did some reading and the dimmer switch mod looks like more work than I'm interested in doing, considering I've never even thought about wanting to turn on the dome light from the front seat. (Of course, now that I've thought about it I'll probably want to do it all the time. ) However, I did stumble across the "dome light spin" thread and went out and did that immediately. One thing I didn't see in that thread, however, was that the headliner is apparently made of fiberglass and now I've got tiny bits of fiberglass embedded in my fingers and hands.

Brent

Last edited by brossow; 05-28-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Looks like I will be doing this on my SS this weekend.. Got some Pedders springs for her.

Quick Reply: How to install drop Springs...