"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to install HID Bi-Xenon Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 PM

How to install HID Bi-Xenon Lights

Okay, Please forgive me and my lack of photos but I will try to make up for it with information...

First off: Let's address HID Kits. I want everyone to understand that they are NOT legal.
See this link and read up on it.http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-kits.htm
Putting an HID bulb into a halogen reflector is very dangerous for on coming traffic. The reason is that the light is not focused so there is a lot of glare.
It's worse then driving with your brights on ALL THE TIME!

Okay, so can you do?

Answer: Perform a HID Bi-Xenon Retrofit.

What is Bi-Xenon compared to regular Xenon?
Answer: Bi-Xenon is a setup that gives you low and high beams, regular Xenon only gives you one or the other (typically low).

How to Bi-Xenon light work?

Answer: With a shield to block the light. When the shield is up it blocks the upper half of the light output. When it is down, it lets that light out.
Now, I know that I mentioned the shield being up or down, this is because the shield covers the bottom part of the bulb light output. There is a lens that "flips" outputted light.
So, the shield on the bottom blocks the top part of the light. There is a solenoid that moves the shield for high beam operation.
Here is a pic of a shield on a regular Xenon light (shield is stationary):

Here is a pic of the solenoid on the bottom of the light. You can see the spring and joint where the shield rotates.

What is a HID Bi-Xenon Retrofit?

Answer: This is where you take the internal headlight components of another make/model of car and fashion it up to fit your car.

What are the internal headlight components that I need from another make/model car?
Answer: There are the parts needed:
- Projector (x2; Bi-Xenon for the HHR; consists of dome lens, holder, bulb, shield, and housing)
- Ballasts (x2) Used to power the lights
- Ignitors (x2) Used to turn the lights on
- HID Bulbs (x2) The lights - Some might refer to them as Capsules
- Shrouds (x2) Finishing touch around the projector (many types are out there)
- (optional) Wiring Harness (converts the 9008 plug to the ballast with other wires to connect; makes life easier)

Here are the steps to complete your retrofit (Unfortunately, I have to be somewhat vague as it will vary from one make/model to another of Xenon internals.)

1. Read this thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...aint+headlight
- Explains how to remove front bumper and lens from headlight.
- Kudos to 1Panel2NV for the above thread.

2a. Follow the steps in the above thread to remove bumper and headlights.
2b. Purchase another set of headlights and work on those while still being able to drive your car.(this is what I did)

3. Paint areas you want painted at this point.

4. While paint is drying you can start on getting the HID light to fit the new housing.
- This basically was me holding the HID light housing up to the back of the headlight assebly (where the old headlight wnet in) and would trace where I needed to cut
- Cut less then more as you can't put the material back if you take off too much.

5. Once you think you have hole cut correctly, fit the projector to it and see if the shield has room to move, if not make the appropriate cuts to free up movement.

6. Drill holes for mounting. The nice thing about the HHR is that the back of the assembly is perfectly perpendicular to the light output, Makes for easier mounting of the projectr and housing. You have to make sure that the projector does not stick out more then 4" or it will not fit.

7. Put it all together.
- I will say that I had to do 2 extra things to get mine to fit. There is a hole where the old headlight went through, I had to bend this hole at the bottom to make it bigger to angle the light in with the back sticking out. Second, I had to take out a few of the bolts for the fender to get the light in as well.
Not a big problem at all.

8. Install the wiring harness, follow instructions with it.

9. Test that the lights work before putting it all together.

10. Once working, aim the lights.

11. Follow the steps in the other thread to put the lights back and reattach the front bumper.

12. Enjoy the better nighttime visibility!

Links for reference:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/index.php
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/

Last edited by orbitalrage; 03-09-2009 at 08:22 PM.