"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Removing the rear bumper cover/fascia

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Removing the rear bumper cover/fascia

Removing the rear bumper (actually the ‘bumper cover’, also known as the rear fascia).
I really liked all the help people were giving out in this forum but couldn’t find an entry on removing the rear bumper so once I worked it out I thought I’d post it. Hope it helps someone.
Start with the in-bumper signals near each corner. These can be removed after taking out the screw at the top. They lean out from the top and have a tab that hooks in to the bumper at the bottom. You should be able to see a small springy piece of plastic you push in to disconnect the cable from the light and the cable can then fall back into the gap.
Under each wheel-well you will see three plastic push-in retainers holding the well-lining to the bumper cover. These can be prized out with a screwdriver a little way then grabbed with pliers. They should come out in one piece and be reusable. Once the wheel well lining is loose look behind it inside the gap right at the end of the bumper and you should see a small bolt-headed screw that should be reomved next on each side.
Look under the middle of the bumper and you should see push-in fasteners about 15 or 20 inches apart. Use a screwdriver to pull out the center and then the whole fastener should come out.
Lastly open the tailgate and at each side of the tailgate where it meets the bumper you should see a bolt. Remove those two bolts and the bumper is now loose. Start on one side and pull gently away from the body. You should see that the sides clip in to a supporting bar with little openings that allow it to slot around the supports. Once one side is loose then you can do the same the other side to pull the whole bumper cover away. Inside the bumper cover is a shock absorber that has two clips holding it to the bumper.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Nice - thanks for sharing