"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How To: Reset the Security System/Relearn a Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 PM

30 minute relearn

No the key doesn't have a plus in a circle on it...
Old 01-27-2018, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Watson325
No the key doesn't have a plus in a circle on it...
Then that's the problem...

Just for clarity, this is for if none of your keys are in the car's programming. If you have a working key, and just want to add more keys, there is a simpler procedure in the owner manual.

Either way, you need keys with the "+ inside a circle" symbol, as seen here(top of the metal)

The GM P/N is 20871320, seems to be discontinued, but should still be available. Google is your friend here.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:13 AM

You can walk into any GM parts department armed with your VIN, registration and I.D. and get a new key cut to your VIN for about $20.

Of course, if you have had the ignition switch recall done you would get 2 new keys programmed to your car.

If your key has an oblong ring hole you have not had the recall.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If your key has an oblong ring hole you have not had the recall.
When I got my HHR back, my kid gave me the old oblong keys, telling me that they still worked to open the doors (which surprised me). So, I figured I'd see if I could reprogram them so they will start the car. It worked. Now I have four functioning keys...
Old 02-04-2018, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by omniglhs
When I got my HHR back, my kid gave me the old oblong keys, telling me that they still worked to open the doors (which surprised me). So, I figured I'd see if I could reprogram them so they will start the car. It worked. Now I have four functioning keys...
The old keys should have still worked without needing reprogramming. The dealer was supposed to keep the old keys when the ignition recall was done and discarded them.
Sounds like the dealer didn't follow GM's instructions.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:44 AM
Administrator

I was thinking the same thing, when my Chevy dealer did the recall on Oldblue , the service manager showed me the old keys were bent and damaged beyond repair, so I’d know that someone couldn’t use the old key to steal my ride.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Sounds like the dealer didn't follow GM's instructions.
That doesn't surprised me one bit. My kid FINALLY took the car in for the recall last summer. I'm betting it was one of the last of these recalls the dealer did.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun
Amazing....Does anyone know if this proceedure applies to later models..?? (2008)
CaJun? San Diego? Ya'll got some Boudin way on dat Side? Sho could pass a good time wit some! est' Bon!
Old 09-01-2021, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by HHRclarke
Fixed all of my standard HHR issues today, new rotors, new sway bar link, and a new shifter. When all was done The battery was dead, When I went to jump start it, it would not start. After hours of looking thru the forums and trying many, many suggestion and calling my useless dealer (My 2006 is way out of Warranty) who told me that there was no security lockout issue. I finally had a friend who’s dad works electrical at GM, he gave me a very useful procedure that fixed the issue. He said that sometimes when you jump start a GM it triggers the security system.

Step 1: Insert key and turn to on. (Not start) The security warning light will be on. Leave in this condition for 10 min, or untill light goes out.
Turn key off

Step 2: Turn to on (not start) the security warning light will be on. Leave in this condition for 10 min or untill light goes out.

Turn Key off

Step 3: Turn to on (not start) the security warning light will be on. Leave in this condition for 10 min or untill the light goes out.

Turn Key off

Step 4: Car will start!!!!!!

I hope this save someone a trip to the dealer.

I love the design of the HHR but hate GM for making it sooo cheap.
IT DID START (for 5 seconds, then shut off! Cheap Ass Chinese keys!!!!)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ytee
IT DID START (for 5 seconds, then shut off! Cheap Ass Chinese keys!!!!)
If it does not have the + in a circle it does not have the security chip. As is pointed out earlier in this thread.
American proper keys are not all that expensive and can be programmed using the directions in your Owner Manual (assuming you have your old key).
About $15 for a key and a fob on Amazon.
Last time I asked at a GM dealer parts department a new key cut to my VIN was about $25.

Quick Reply: How To: Reset the Security System/Relearn a Key