"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Installing rear seat in 07 Panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Installing rear seat in 07 Panel

hey guys, I just finished my first modification to my 07 panel !!!! I installed a Factory hhr rear seat with seat belts and im goin to try to run throught the sep by step.

step one... removing the plastic box...

there are four bolts on the top of this box 2 are 10mm and 2 are t30 torx. remove these 4 and then plastic box will come right out (its easier with 2 ppl as it is large and akward).

below the box is a metal frame. this is held in by a few 18 mm bolts and nuts remove these and the frame will come out. (it is lighter and not as akward an easy one person lift)

Step two. Installing seat belts. i think we will agree this is the most important part of installing the seat is the safety!!! so here we go. this is also the most complicated step.

all the interior trim panels must be removed from the rear of the car... start with the lower rear door kick panels they are about 8-10 inches long I used a special interior trim clip popper... but a flat screwdriver works well too just need to be a bit more careful. the next panels to remove are the upper and lower horizontal panels in the rear hatch opening . you will need to remove the spare tire tray to remove the lower one. Again a flat screw driver and a little patience works just fine.

now you must remove a couple of 10 mm bolts holding on the loops in the quarter trim and 4 clips,2 on each side, where the shelf sits in the upper position. there is also a 7 mm screw in the very top at the fron of the upper panel on each side behind a plug . once these are removed start pulling the upper panel away first be careful not to break the clips holding it to the inner quarter. light prying a little pulling will work fine. now pull the lower out the same way .

you are now ready to install the seat belts. bolt in the lower spool and retractor (if you are not using factory bolts either ordered from chevy or out of a used car , use only a grade 8 or better bolt.) and now reinstall all those trim panels starting in the reverse order you took them out . bolt in the swivel top for the shoulder harness and make sure the spacers are pesent or it will crush your interior panels. the spacers are about 1/4 in each and 2 are used on each side. now bolt in the end of each belt no spacers required on this one .

step 3 . The seat

Now put the seat in and bolt the lower rear bar in place on the studs, and one bolt behind the assembly. this will show you the open places to install the seatbelt clasps you can do this by raising the bottom of the seat to the seat back. set the seat bottom back down and align the four feet on the studs and secure with nuts your new seat is now almost fisinshed .

now install the small box behind the rear seat it snaps into place and is held down by 3- 10mm nuts.

And now you have the finished Product an HHR Panel with factory rear seats.

I purchased the complete seats seat belts and all hardware for 240.00 from a local salvage yard.

Name:  100_0524.jpg
Views: 2839
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  100_0526.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  50.0 KB
Old 10-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Pics I like to see the inside with the Seat.

Rudy
Old 10-11-2007, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the how to! I'm considering doing this to mine someday. How are the passengers going to close the door though? What would it look like with the door panel's from the 4 door HHR?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 PM

got the pics up .... I installed the seat as more of a just in case i end up with more than 2 people seeing as how Im 20 I dont have to worry about kids. the only thing I can see being a problem with the 4 door trim panels is that you will have to fabricate a window delete for it but it should work . you will also need the handle support to screw the panel to, where you grab it to close the door.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 PM

Wayed
Nice job, I really did know that the Panel came with a back seat door. Is your HHr a 4 door and you blocked out the window, I must be missing something.

Rudy
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by PanelMan
I installed the seat as more of a just in case i end up with more than 2 people seeing as how Im 20 I dont have to worry about kids.
That's exactly why I want to put a seat in.

I just wasn't sure what the door's looked like beneath the panels. Didn't know how awkward it might look.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 PM

having rear seats in a panel with no door handles for the back doors, just screams out "play a bad joke!!!"

if you got some drunk friends in the back seat with no window and no door handle to get out of the back of the car, and then just yell out "get out of the car!!!!!!" and get out as fast as you can, the look on thier faces or reactions...AHEM...*cough* i mean...i don't know what your talking about.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by SIRESMERPH
having rear seats in a panel with no door handles for the back doors, just screams out "play a bad joke!!!"

if you got some drunk friends in the back seat with no window and no door handle to get out of the back of the car, and then just yell out "get out of the car!!!!!!"
Doesn't the interior door release still work?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:58 AM

yes the interior door handle still works it is the only mechanical release for the door.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM

i stand corrected

Quick Reply: Installing rear seat in 07 Panel