"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

rear view mirror upgrade (Magna Donnelly)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 PM

rear view mirror upgrade (Magna Donnelly)

From a stock MAGNA DONNELLY mirror with maplites only to a MAGNA DONNELLY mirror with autodim, maplites and compass.. OK so I am an old gomer and I want a compass. And just so you know, dont even bother to try to get hold of Magna Donnelly, it is impossible to get thru their phone system. I Tried three days in a row and went 5 deep in voice prompts to no avail. GENTEK, however, i got thru to and immediately spoke with a human. Unfortunately they only know about their own stuff.

Anyway to the point.

stock mirror has 3 wires Blue with white stripe, grey, and black)
in a 7 pin connector.

my replacement mirror was from a wrecked 06 hhr. It has a 16 pin connector. It did not come with a pigtail so i got one from an 05 impala with onstar. I cut away all wires except brown, green, grey, black,and blue. Iran a new wire fron the mirror to inside fuze #5(spare) on mine anyway. I joined blue to blue, grey to grey, black to black, and brown and green to the new wire that comes on with ignition.

Havn't used it at nite yet, but the compass and maplites work for sure.

hope this is usefulto someone els, i know i struggled to figure it out. Of course I'm not very bright,,,,,,,,,,but i can lift heavy things
Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 PM

Mine was the same and this is what i did using my multimeter:
on 16 pin connector -
pin 8 - is common (old wire from 7 pin)
pin 6 - is the wire from the previous mirror than read .25v (old wire from 7 pin)
pin 1 - is the 12v+ on all the time (old wire from 7 pin)
pin 13 - is the autodim/ compass 12v+ switched. (new wire ran from fuse box)

had it this way for 1 month now....no issues. maplites work as they should and still dim...