"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Seat swap to Leather wirh Elec Seats - Questions Air Bag sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 02:31 PM

Seat swap to Leather wirh Elec Seats - Questions Air Bag sensor

Did several searches on this subject, none found. If already old subject please point me to it

My 2 HHR Panels are 2008, an LT Auto and 2LT 5sp. I picked up to full leather Interiors. 1) purpose to change out Rr storage box and 2) to obtain leather interior. The interiors were out of 08 or 09. Both black leather with Elec Sests. Thought eventually I'd wire the elec seats up separately... no rush.

When pulling the Passenger seat, I discover the wiring loom already has the 3 connectors used in conjunction with the elec seats and a different Air Bag pressure sensor that didn't use the same connections as standard seats. The leather Passenger and Driver seat contain the additional electric seat wiring and appears the additional electronics.

I also already have replacement control head with elec seat switches. Was planning to examine if I could repurpose them for after market elec seat relays, etc.

After seeing the 3rd connection in seat loom, I was hoping dash loom to controller head would be present too. Wrong, it's not the same in dash... same connector but populated with additional wires.

The Passenger Air Bag sensor & Dash Indicator state AirBag needs serviced. If I plug the original 2 connections or all 3 connections the Passenger Air Bag still has faults.

Questions: Has any one upgraded to Leather w Seat heaters? How did you correct the Passenger Air Bag fault... is there a hack in wiring to correct?

Has anyone obtained the Controller Wiring loom with Elec seats? Do you need dash loom or dash loom and different main box too?

To me, it looks like if controller head loom was replaced as asmbembly, it would correct both air bag sensor and elec seats.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:27 PM
Technical Moderator

I never done it.

The wiring diagrams I have are the same 2008-2009. There is no connection between the heaters and the airbag system.

Here are the color coded pin out drawings

Old 03-02-2019, 04:32 PM
Technical Moderator

And the PPS, Looks like thhey combined PNK and blu, etc
Old 03-02-2019, 06:34 PM

My incorrect statement, I don't think they've combined air bag & seat heater, but I think they're using the same connector(s). The heating element is seperate, but within the seat connections and modules before going to 3 connectors to floor, they are not separate connectors as on standard sear.

I believe I have a solution if not using heaters or if using heaters on alternate non-oem wiring.

I found via disconnecting and removing electronics seat mount rail, you can then remove the air bag fluid bag. I think this can be mounted under leather seat and mount the standard electronics rail you can essentially bypass the new seat connectors restoring the original wiring for air bag sensor.

If I later find a wiring loom for heater option I can swap the electronics rail back.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:18 PM
Technical Moderator

If the bag is filled with fluid it is not from 2008-2011.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Technical Moderator

If the connectors are the same it looks like they changed the color positions.
I think I remember somebody exchanged the modules under the seat.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If the bag is filled with fluid it is not from 2008-2011.
The bag is very thin (3~4mm), looks like a large group of 30-35mm circles inside... does feel like a small amount of fluid.
To my knowledge it’s the factory original seats. I’ll look at the other 2008 HHR Panel, I’m pretty confident they were the same, and that one I know is untouched.

The connectors from “floor loom” to “seat” are the same. The connectors “on” the seat are not the same as standard seat. The Air Bag connector on seat is not the same, not same number of wires and different type connector, the mounted module is completely different. As in pics above.

I did move the standard seat’s air bag sensor and mounted electronics to leather seat and air bag is back to operating correctly.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:49 PM
Banned

the leather seat are later so swap out the seat sensor and brain from your old seat pass side only to the new one that will fix the abs so it works iv done that a lot in the past as to the heat pads u can keep them as they have there own connector , but like we talked u will have to reflash the bcm to make the heat work or just install a after market control a lot cheaper then the dealer work , gluk
Old 03-03-2019, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by hellshotrod
the leather seat are later so swap out the seat sensor and brain from your old seat pass side only to the new one that will fix the abs so it works iv done that a lot in the past as to the heat pads u can keep them as they have there own connector , but like we talked u will have to reflash the bcm to make the heat work or just install a after market control a lot cheaper then the dealer work , gluk
Yep, as indicated above that’s what I did for now. Glad to hear that was a common practice. Still like to explore the OEM method with dash loom and standard buttons on control head. Be lot more work, but something to consider.

Another thread I found indicated he just added seats, control head and flashed BCM in a 2008. Was there a period of time the full loom was being used in production regardless of options? That was what I too had hoped but wasn’t present.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by hellshotrod
Unrealated, but short question... same bone yard I picked up the leather interior, I picked up some door panels to experiment modifying and noticed the passenger handle pull area had a power window switch. What year or option package had power windows on door vs center console floor area? Earlier or later than my 2008’s?

Quick Reply: Seat swap to Leather wirh Elec Seats - Questions Air Bag sensor