"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:25 AM

I'm going after the broken wind deflector fix in a day or two. Regarding the screws that may need tightening to get a proper sunroof fit:

1. can anyone advise where these screws are located and how to access these screws??

2. regarding Oldblue's note about the requirement to replace the brackets to get the proper alignment - for those who tightened the screws (without installing new brackets) has the sunroof fixed worked out over time??

Thanks for any info

Originally Posted by pontiacgt02
Everyone I have figured out why the windscreen for the sunroof is breaking. Unfortunately I figured it out after mine broke. There is not a defect in the unit. The problem is the sunroof is loose. The screws that hold the sunroof to the track loosen over time or are not tightened enough from the factory. (not GM fault as they are not the maker of the unit). What happens is when the sunroof screws get to loose it drops farther down when it is sliding back into the roof and then it rubs against the arms of the sunroof wind screen. There is no way the windscreen is breaking from the unit itself, the springs tension that pops up the windscreen is mostly held by the windscreen. The unit that is breaking is just a point of movement. I figured this out by seeing pictures in other forums that the piece was breaking on both sides not just one. I also noticed my sunroof sounded strange lately and sure enough the left side which is where my windscreen broke the screw were loose and could move about a 1/4 of inch. That is enough to cause the problem

If you haven't had a problem yet you may eventually. I would tighten the screws at least once a year.
Originally Posted by Oldblue
The glass won't seal correctly with these brackets not correctly in place.

Last edited by miles solo; 10-18-2016 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling & added new quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:34 PM

Did some more online research and found these links showing how to get to the sunroof's alignment adjusting screws:

Chevrolet Workshop Manuals > HHR L4-2.4L (2010) > Body and Frame > Roof and Associated Components > Sunroof / Moonroof > Sunroof / Moonroof Panel > Component Information > Adjustments

Chevrolet Workshop Manuals > HHR L4-2.4L (2010) > Body and Frame > Roof and Associated Components > Sunroof / Moonroof > Sunroof / Moonroof Panel > Component Information > Service and Repair > Sunroof Panel Side Opening Closeout Cover Replacement

I'll post again after I've done the job. Should be soon.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:29 PM

Did the work today. Removed the factory wind deflector. Then adjusted the height on the sunroof glass. It was easy to get to the 4 adjusting screws. The sunroof was definitely riding too low at all four corners. Reset it to the proper alignment. Won't be installing an aftermarket stick on deflector till I get back home in a week or two. Will be keeping an eye on the fit in the meantime - to see if it will hold the new adjustment without the brackets in place.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:41 PM
JSK

Wow -this thread has added value for a LONG time, eh?

Mine was wind noise only since purchasing (Jan 2016, 57,xxx miles). Now with 63,xxx miles it's leaking water. Made no scary noises while opening.

Body shop/mechanic around the corner looked at it for me today, and also was happy to read this thread for my sake in case it applied. He said that the part broken on MY sunroof is a different part, so the bracket-replacement isn't applicable in this case. He located the assembly for $440 and can do it all for $835. He says the dealer said the assembly was revised to eliminate the common breakage issues.

Rats. I just don't know if I should spend that much. But I don't have many options.

Can't find part number for sunroof rail assembly (it's probably not the magic search terms that will locate it...). Does anyone happen to have a better search term or part number?
Old 12-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Technical Moderator

No special search term; just go to a GM parts site and drill down.
SUNROOF for 2010 Chevrolet HHR | GMPartsOutlet.net
Old 12-12-2016, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Does this parts list help?

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/sho...ey_model=15782
Old 12-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Technical Moderator

simultyping!
Old 12-12-2016, 07:14 PM
JSK

I don't care WHAT everyone else says about you two - * I * think you're alright! Hah - thanks much!
Old 07-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Lightbulb

I think you are 100% right, where do i find these screws to tighten?

Originally Posted by pontiacgt02
everyone i have figured out why the windscreen for the sunroof is breaking. Unfortunately i figured it out after mine broke. There is not a defect in the unit. The problem is the sunroof is loose. The screws that hold the sunroof to the track loosen over time or are not tightened enough from the factory. (not gm fault as they are not the maker of the unit). What happens is when the sunroof screws get to loose it drops farther down when it is sliding back into the roof and then it rubs against the arms of the sunroof wind screen. There is no way the windscreen is breaking from the unit itself, the springs tension that pops up the windscreen is mostly held by the windscreen. The unit that is breaking is just a point of movement. I figured this out by seeing pictures in other forums that the piece was breaking on both sides not just one. I also noticed my sunroof sounded strange lately and sure enough the left side which is where my windscreen broke the screw were loose and could move about a 1/4 of inch. That is enough to cause the problem

if you haven't had a problem yet you may eventually. I would tighten the screws at least once a year.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ahmaduhhs
I think you are 100% right, where do i find these screws to tighten?
Check post #92

Quick Reply: Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)