"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Timing chain tensioner replacement - fix engine rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

if this would be covered all i would have to pay is the $50 deduc...no labor costs or anything...ill just have to give them a shout
Old 04-14-2014, 05:39 PM

Thank you

It took me about 35 to 40 min to change easy job
Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 AM

Hi to all of you, I was trolling around on this forum for quite some time now ... learned a lot however now I have a question about the revised tensioner

Mine came yesterday and after playing around with it I pressed it with my thumb hard enough that it activated - exactly like a pen, click - click and it popped in extended mode.

How about installing it like that (activated)? it spares me the trouble of removing the valve cover and pushing on the chain guide to activate!

What can go wrong, this new model is not like the old one it does not jump out of the housing after activation ... any thoughts on this !?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Don't know from experience, but with the tensioner released, you might have problems with the install.
I would assume the tensioner would contact the chain before the threaded parts lined up. You would then have to push(or compress) the tensioner just to get the threads started.
I would worry about stripping or buggering up the threads trying to do it this way. Then you would have big problems.

I would suggest installing it the way it was designed to be done.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 AM

When I installed my tensioner I tried that. I had the valve cover off at the time. The tensioner has a stepped mechanism that will not let it retract when activated. It will thread in but it makes the chain super tight and will ware the chain guides very fast then you will be doing the complete timing chain job.

Don't do it.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 AM

Yeah I think its a one way mechanism, you may have to take it apart to compress it again.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:17 AM

You can reset them with your fingers just need to push and turn at the same time and you will feel it lock in position and stay retracted.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 PM

Thank you guys, I re-compressed it by taking it apart - good thing i did not take the air filter box out I checked behind it to see if I can access it and SURPRISE I already had the new model installed by the previous owner - noticed it is thicker and had the bump on the back, the old style did not have that ... so no need for the new one.

I bought the car from a GM dealership about 2 years ago and the guy there mentioned it was previously owned by a GM employee, did not believe him, you know how the dealers are ... however now I'm starting not to doubt him anymore.

Still have a rattle at start-up (cold or hot) it is only for a few seconds and it goes away, also it is inconsistent once or twice a week (I drive it daily) - this started since I changed to Mobil1 5W30 don't know if it is related, I thought it is the tensioner ....
Old 07-26-2014, 09:41 PM

changed tensioner

Well just did the tensioner change and there was NO change. The noise is still there. What else could it be
Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Koril1977
Well just did the tensioner change and there was NO change. The noise is still there. What else could it be
Did you release the it by popping it?

What else could it be? Timing chain guides, timing chain. Are you sure it is chain noise vs injector noise?

Quick Reply: Timing chain tensioner replacement - fix engine rattle