Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

First post and I'm sure you've heard it before.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 PM

Well, oddly enough, I bought one tonight. In my opinion, the WRX would have been the nicest, but A, it's overpriced, B, the stealership offered 3K less than the Chevy dealer and C, gas may be cheap now, but in case it hits the fan again, I wouldn't mind getting 29 mpg vs. 23 ( I had a WRX before, I'll never see 24 they advertise).

So my second question. This stage 1 kit, has anyone had experience as to how it affects mileage?

Thanks,
-Owen
Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 AM

sweet! good for you!

and to both support others, and to clarify my own post

I found the HHR to be the most comfy of the 4 mentioned.

the only thing that beats it for me is the NEW Xb. and it actually has a stiffer ride!(its just right for me!)

also

I had use of a caliber SRT-4 when i worked at the Chrysler/dodge/jeep dealership.

the seats were nice... but i got sick of everything else real quick!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 AM

Welcome aboard!

I got my 08 with 11K on it from a 1 owner and i paid 15,800 for it
Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by silvertoy
Well, oddly enough, I bought one tonight. In my opinion, the WRX would have been the nicest, but A, it's overpriced, B, the stealership offered 3K less than the Chevy dealer and C, gas may be cheap now, but in case it hits the fan again, I wouldn't mind getting 29 mpg vs. 23 ( I had a WRX before, I'll never see 24 they advertise).

So my second question. This stage 1 kit, has anyone had experience as to how it affects mileage?

Thanks,
-Owen
I get the same mileage(33-34 mpg Highway-26-27(city) with the Stage kit as I did stock with my HHR SS. You may find a difference when you get on it, as the HP is higher 290 HP/ 315 FT/LBS torque(Auto). You will get a huge smile on your face with the Stage Kit.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:11 AM

Old 04-30-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I've been enjoying driving it all week. Compared to my MINI, it does seem quite a bit slower from 0-40, where the wieght really matters, but things get pretty blurry once you hit 40 and the lag goes away and the horsepower and torque really show their benefits. Handling on the MINI was certainly more tossable, but the HHR really does stick, I think the illusion of better handing is due to the lower ride height. Either way, I'm pretty happy with it. I certainly need to replace the stereo. I would like to do a NAV unit, but I'm debating going with some double din Pioneer unit to make it look stock.

Like this:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19750

The final deal I got on the vehicle when you take into account the fact that they offered me 3K more for my trade than about 10 other dealerships was: $17K.

Specs:
2009 w/ w/ 7K miles, (certified - includes extra 12/12 warranty)
Silver, Manual,

Red performance seats.
Performance Package (brake and lim slip)
Moonroof,
Upgraded Sound
Roof Side Rails

I just placed an order for the SS kit from crate engine depot, I'll have it installed in 2 weeks, I'll be out of town at the Wind Power trade show next week so I have to wait. I need to find a dealership that will be willing to do the install. So far they either want $200+ or they are afraid to do it because they say it will void the warranty as they are uneducated.

Last edited by silvertoy; 04-30-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Limited Slip Differential Option - RPO Code G85

Don't know if you looked for the limited slip option, but maybe you got lucky.

Look at the silver sticker on the inside of the glovebox door on the left side. If one of the codes is G85, (they are in alphabetic order), you have the LSD.

It took me months to find a slightly used one with the options that I wanted for the price I wanted to pay. (black on black, manual trans, sunroof, LSD).

I always buy new, but I decided to let someone else besides me take the depreciation beating this time. And there are many on AutoTrader with <10k mi.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:15 PM

Yes, it has the Limited slip, I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have it. I specifically looked for the G85 in the glove box too and it was there.
I'm the same way when it comes to only buying new cars, in the last 10 years, I've had 16 cars and only 2 of them were used, A Jeep Wrangler and a Honda Accord. This makes 3. I figured that because of the deal they were giving me, if I decided I hated the car, I wouldn't be losing out on too much. Plus they had another one on the lot that was the EXACT same car, but that they were selling as new, $24K was the best price they could do on that one (21 if you factor in how good of a deal they were giving on the MINI). I figured I would be $4K less in the hole with this one.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by silvertoy
Yes, it has the Limited slip, I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have it. I specifically looked for the G85 in the glove box too and it was there.
I'm the same way when it comes to only buying new cars, in the last 10 years, I've had 16 cars and only 2 of them were used, A Jeep Wrangler and a Honda Accord. This makes 3. I figured that because of the deal they were giving me, if I decided I hated the car, I wouldn't be losing out on too much. Plus they had another one on the lot that was the EXACT same car, but that they were selling as new, $24K was the best price they could do on that one (21 if you factor in how good of a deal they were giving on the MINI). I figured I would be $4K less in the hole with this one.
Seems like when you buy a slightly used car with all the stuff you wanted in a new car is like having your cake and eating it too! Rare, but with perseverance, you can make it happen. Enjoy your SS. I'm sure you will...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 PM

Definitely get the kit. Since you mentioned liking warranties, obviously stick with the GM tune. Your mini is (was) a great car, so the HHR SS will have to keep you entertained and the kit will do it.

Quick Reply: First post and I'm sure you've heard it before.