Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Howdy! HHR Bound, Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 AM

Smile Howdy! HHR Bound, Questions!

Hi Everyone,
We have an 09 VW Routan. Looking to trade her for an HHR. I've found a few in the 13-14K range, ALL Rentals, all certified, all 30-40K miles. We owe about 19K on the routan, KBB value is around 13K, so I figured a 72 mo financing to put us at about $290/mo, which is about $200 LESS than we're paying for the Routan!

This will be our family car. We have a 4 and 5 year old. There IS a concern with space, BUT we never use the third row in the Routan, and we average 13 mpg, which is brutal on the wallet.

My two biggest questions are: Should we go for a rental? I've read good to bad here on the forums. Second, all the HHRs in our area/price range are ALL rentals. How much room for negotiation is there? We're going this weekend. I'm told the end of the month is the best time to buy, dealers need to make their quota, so the'res room to negotiate. I'm trying to see approximately how low I can get the monthly payment down to.

I haven't even DRIVEN an HHR yet, but I've always been in love with it visually. This past week, I've become completely infatuated with it, haha!

I am very excited, but I want the best info possible before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance! -Mike
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 AM

There are lots on here with ex rental HHR's.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM

Retal here. Bought mine with 30k. Now have over 70k and not a single problem yet. Go and get it!!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM

It is always a crap shoot in getting any used car. My opinion, a rental was potentially abused by a variety of drivers. A former leased car was used by someone who knew they were not keeping the car past the lease agreement and did not maintain it. A low mileage used car, my question is why was it "dumped" with low mileage? The only low mileage car I "dumped" was a lemon from the start, and at a little over 4000 miles went back to the dealer. They sold it to some unsuspecting person who contaced me after owning that car for two years and had multiple problems with that car.

Some people have had good luck with used cars, I have always had issues whenever I bought a used car.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by swerv0428
Retal here. Bought mine with 30k. Now have over 70k and not a single problem yet. Go and get it!!
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm hoping I can get some more input in terms of price and what I can get my monthly payment down to. Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM

I cant speak for everyone. I got mine for 12k back in 2010. In excellent condition. Kbb was 15k. Just look around you will find deals. As previosly mentioned my hhr has been excellent to me. Yes it has a minor clunk in the front end when hitting bumps as most all of them do. Other than that mine has been great. But that dont mean they all are. Hopefully you find a deal on a hhr and it treats you well. Best of luck in your search. Keep us posted on what you find. Plenty of people here to help.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 AM

When going on a test drive tell them you want to drive it for more then a Around the block. They have your car, your ID, ect. I tell them up front that I want to drive it for a bit. Like it get up to opt. temp, a little in town,a little High way. Feal the car out if you know what I'm talking about. If they want to sell you a car a ride around the block won't do for me.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Great advice. Im going to add one thing on top of that. Take to a busy parking lot. Park it in some spots, back it in, go through a bank drive up or fast food drive up. Use it like you would if you owned it. Just some words of advice i was once told.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by oneton
When going on a test drive tell them you want to drive it for more then a Around the block. They have your car, your ID, ect. I tell them up front that I want to drive it for a bit. Like it get up to opt. temp, a little in town,a little High way. Feal the car out if you know what I'm talking about. If they want to sell you a car a ride around the block won't do for me.
Thanks oneton and swerve, excellent advice! We will make sure to take our time driving her :)
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Question

Looking at these 3, thoughts? Is there a big difference between LS & LT? I'm asking because I think the running boards would be great for the kids!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quick Reply: Howdy! HHR Bound, Questions!