Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

I am thinking of getting an HHR...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM

I am thinking of getting an HHR...

New to this forum and HHRs. Wife and I have started seriously looking at used HHRs since we can't afford a new one. We would be looking at one around 30- 50k miles. Are there any years that we should be leery of, or common problems to look for? Most of the ones we have looked at or driven have been the 2.4 liter. Any concerns with any of the engine options? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by classicaudioman
New to this forum and HHRs. Wife and I have started seriously looking at used HHRs since we can't afford a new one. We would be looking at one around 30- 50k miles. Are there any years that we should be leery of, or common problems to look for? Most of the ones we have looked at or driven have been the 2.4 liter. Any concerns with any of the engine options? Thanks for any input.
Hi, i am also a relative "newbie" here, i just got my used HHR 2 weeks ago.

One thing i will mention is that in the used market, there are A LOT of HHRs from the rental car companies.

You can usually get a good deal on these, but depending on the package (LS, 1LT, 2LT) they do not have certain features that you would think are standard.

Those include remote start, onstar, XM and side airbags (not the primary airbags, but the side/curtain ones).

I am really happy with my HHR, and i am sure others will chime in with their experiences.

Good luck on your car search!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 PM

While mine is a used LT it came from my grandfather when he had to be put in a nursing home. Seeing as it was his car the mileage on it is low for a 2007, as of right now just over 23,500. It has most options and as time goes by I like it more and more. However, I would not have picked it for myself. This vehicle is most definitely much harder to see out of than the Grand Am I had before, and the mileage isn't really any better for a car 13 years newer. As for your questions I really have no answers for you, if you like something that is really all that matters to me when getting it for myself.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 PM

2.2 and the 2.4 to Solid Motor's and have been used in many many different model's. I would look for a 07-08 or atleast a 06 LT something with the side running boards. They were added due to a design flaw,which was throwing road debris at the rear Door and causing Rock chips etc also know as "Sand Blasting"

It does takes some time to get use to the blind spots etc and seeing Red lights. I've just learned not to get right up on the white line at a Red light. There is also something called a traffic prism which is a mirror of sort you mount to your windshield to see the traffic light.

I can't complain i have a 08 been back once for Sway Bar links loose. Plus the normal warped rotor's, which is common from the car sitting on the lots and of course the steal coming from china.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 AM

I too am a newbe I purchased my 2008 2LT from a dealer and it was a rental with 30k miles. I had read everything I could find on the cars and liked everything I read about it, I love the timeless lines of the car and have always had good luck with Chevys. The dealer provided me with a CarFax and it listed everything I wanted to know about the car. It had all the creature comforts I like, the fancy radio the bigger engine the nice wheels etc so I bought it. Since the purchase I didn't like the brakes, because of my driving style, so I replaced the rotors and pads with dimpled and slotted rotors and upgraded pads. I read about a rear sway bar on this forum and installed that a few weeks ago and it dramatically improved the way the car sticks to the road. My only negative is it hydroplanes during the rain and I am convinced it is the tires which I am planning on changing shortly. I use my car for work and commute a 100 mies a day and now have about 46k miles on the car and it has been fun to drive, been very good on mileage and it has forced me to slow down, I have always had a V-8 so this is a dramatic change in my driving style. The features I really like about the car that I was unaware of is there is a nice storage area above the spare tire which I thought looked rather small when I bought the car but it turns out all my "car stuff" and tools fit nicely and nothing is visible when you walk by the car. I also am impressed with the load capacity, I helped out a couple of kids who got caught in a violent thunder storm north of my home and not only did we fit the guys but also their full size bikes, I was impressed! I would reccomend this car to anyone it is really a nice little car.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Here's my impressions on my 2007 2LT I bought new.
  • The Good

Fun to drive
Easy to park
Good highway mileage (I've gotten up to 32 mpg)
I average about 25 commuting to work
The 2LT comes w/ leather heated seats and they are nice!
Of course, the looks of the car
I opted for the side curtain airbags, which gives it 5 stars for front and side

• The Bad

Poor visibility at the pillars - you really have to watch around them when you're making a turn. There could be a pedestrian there and you wouldn't see them.

Wapred front rotors. GM really dropped the ball here. It's safe to say that half of the HHR's have had this problem. Cheap steel. The dealer told me just last month, that I need to start downshifting into 2nd gear (it's an automatic), when I will be braking down a hill. He said these rotors will warp in no time if used on downhill situations. I have to go down hill everytime I go home. This is an unacceptable, ridiculous thing to have to deal with on such a new car. The first time the rotors warped was at 4000 miles. I now have 37k and I've had them turned 3x, so they're basically worn out now. POS brakes..

The rear drum brakes on my HHR have squeaked since new. I ended up buying new drums and shoes myself, and it still squeaks. #1 - I think it's because I live on a gravel road and the dust must be getting inside of them. #2 - why on earth is any car company still using drum brakes? That technology is 80+ years old, and discs are proven to be more reliable and better at stopping. Unbelievable. If some aftermarket company makes a conversion kit, please let me know.

The cupholders are horrible.
  • The Ugly

The metal on the HHR is not unlike most newer cars: paper-thin. Thus, a low-speed crash can result in serious body damage. Take a look at mine:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/hhr-dinged-up-pretty-good-26034/
Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 AM

Do a good thorough test drive, more than just 5 mins around the block and CHECK THE BRAKES. The front rotors have a bad habit of warping horribly.

I got my 08 used with 24,000 miles on it and the front rotors were shot... had to be replaced... somehow the dealer missed that in their "100 point inspection". It was done for free under warranty... but you should still check it out.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM

2 Passengers and 2 Bicycles

Originally Posted by Art Landry
I helped out a couple of kids who got caught in a violent thunder storm north of my home and not only did we fit the guys but also their full size bikes, I was impressed!.
I'm impressed too. I had trouble getting one bicycle in my panel with no passenger.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:31 PM

Thanks to all for the info. We have just sold the vehicle the HHR will replace so we are serious now. Anyone have a good idea of what $$$ one goes for at a dealership? I have had my eye on a 2006 with 29K miles at a local large dealer (not a used car lot). It is loaded up with leather, sunroof, chrome wheels, heated seats, spoiler, etc so I assume it is the LT2? Anyway the asking price is $14,800. It appears to be very clean. Would an offer of $12,000 be ridiculous or fair...or should I start lower? It has been 7 yrs since I have dealt with car dealers! I have noticed they have had it for sale a while, which may be because of the Daytona Blue color which I kind of like.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:38 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by classicaudioman
Would an offer of $12,000 be ridiculous or fair...or should I start lower? It has been 7 yrs since I have dealt with car dealers! I have noticed they have had it for sale a while, which may be because of the Daytona Blue color which I kind of like.
You could find 07 and 08s for 13K, may not be a 2LT but maybe a negotiating point to start at a lower price.

I'm surprised that the DBM has not moved............I mean who can resist that color!!!!

BTW...

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 31
Size:  38.2 KB

Quick Reply: I am thinking of getting an HHR...