Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New Gal from St. Joseph, Mo

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:38 PM

New Gal from St. Joseph, Mo

Hello all,

I just purchased my first HHR 2 weeks ago. I really love it! I had to have the windshield replaced when I bought it due to cracks. I wanted them to just fill the cracks, but they said it had to be replaced. I told them that it had to be a factory windshield, but when I got it back, the windshield was a PGW windshield which is totally different than the factory one that was originally installed. I now hear a lot of wind noise and there is a blue tint strip at the top, which I really don't like with my Cardinal Red metallic paint. The windshield was part of the deal I made with them at the dealership. Any advice on how to word my demands to the dealership about a new factory replacement windshield? It was a Chevy dealership I purchased it from.

Thanks for the help! So glad to have found this group!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 PM

Welcome to the site

I would go back and make them install a windshield that makes your happy with.

A factory windshield may be difficult to find but when getting replacements the dark strip at the top is an option that you can have or delete.

Sounds like they have something out of line to make a wind noise anyway.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:04 AM

Why do you think the dealership would be obligated to use a 'factory' windshield on a used vehicle? If they did something wrong during the installation process that is causing the wind noise you mention I would think they'd have to fix that. But change it because you don't like the blue tint?? Good luck with that.......
Old 04-11-2015, 09:40 AM

I understand what you are saying. It's not only that I don't like it. It makes it harder for me to see at night, which is why I noticed it in the first place. The windshield doesn't even fit properly. I have had issues with windshields in the past. What type of windshield should i be requesting Iis what i really need to know.
The dealership was the one who said they had to replace it. I dont actually expect a factory
windshield. I just want parts that fit the vehicle and work properly.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:47 AM

That it doesn't fit properly is definitely a problem. I thought it was causing wind noise because it was improperly installed. Perhaps they should get an outside vendor/installer that specializes in auto glass to source and install it. I've only had a problem with glass installed at a dealership once and that's how it was solved.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Deceased

aboard!

And a most definate "Yup" to having the windshield reseated or replaced with a better piece of glass.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:01 PM

Welcome aboard!
Just tell them it isn't installed right, because it makes a loud wind noise.
And while they have to take it out to replace it, That blue tint makes it hard for me to see out of it when it is dark.
Can they install one this time without the blue tint, just clear would be safer for me :)
Old 04-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, what is writen in your sales agreement , which is a contract... Does it state replacement windshield or does it state new windshield?
They problably thought they were doing you a favour with the tint strip!
As for the wind whistle that would be poor installation workmanship and they have to fix it!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Technical Moderator

In writing!!!!!! My last windshield was PGW made in China, and on the sales receipt it says "OEM". Parts suppliers have different legal definitions than consumers.

As far as I can tell all of the replacement windows have the tint now, at least the last few I've had did without me asking for it, I get a new one pretty much every year. You would be surprised how bad the sun is without it.

Also, it seems that the only new ones are the "chinese" ones, the car has been out of production for 5 years now.