Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New here, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 PM

New here, need some advice

Hi all, I'm going to go give a look at a '08 SS tomorrow and wanted to know what I should be paying attention to. I haven't owned a Chevy for 20 years or so being a Fordza guy but the HHR (SS specifically) has grabbed my attention.

Could somebody give me some HHR or Chevy weak points I need to look for?

Specs:

2008 HHR SS with about 65k miles

For shiz and grins the last Chevy I owned was an '85 Cavalier. It was my first car and I ran that thing through the ringer including putting it in a pond.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:28 PM

I stopped by the dealer Saturday and took her for a test drive. The ride felt very solid, body was in good condition with only a few minor paint flaws. The interior needed some attention, the door panels and the plastic floor was scuffed up a good bit and it needs a new shift boot. My biggest concern was the shifting, it felt very notchy. Is this normal? My current ride is a Mazda 3 and it feels pretty silky compared to the HHR I drove. The guy wants just shy of 16k for it. I'm not comfortable at that price but I would assume I could work him down to my comfort level. Power felt good btw, looked to be an after market exhaust, not sure on the brand.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 PM

Check through the various threads on the HHR SS. I have an '06 LT 1 which now has 91K miles on it and have had no real issues. The only thing I always worry about is the abuse some performance can receive. You did not mention the miles on the SS. When I was test driving the HHR, back in 06, the manual I drove was smooth shifting. I ended up with an auto and have been quite happy with the car.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:10 PM

the shifter, stock, doesn't feel quite as smooth as many import shifters, especially Honda, but isn't too bad, at least mine was pretty nice. it may just need a little tweaking on the adjustment. however, if you decide to buy, might i suggest sending some cash over to TWM Performance for a nice short throw shifter. I have had mine since '08 or '09, don't remember exactly when i got it, it's been awhile, and that makes it soo much better. isn't too bad price wise, and if you order some of the extra stuff at the same time (different shift knob, base bushings, solid cable clamp, etc) you get the extras for a little cheaper. i have had my '08 SS since Feb '08, and i honestly love this car as much as my passed down truck from my grandpa. i couldn't imagine trading it for anything at this point. it's tons of fun, handles great (keep in mind, mine is modded), and still gets pretty darn good mpgs. they do occasionally have their quirks you can read about all over this site, but all in all, they are wonderful cars. just my $.02
Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Personally I think $16K is a bit high for 60K mileage..

Like you said, work down the price..

FWIW: Check here in the classifieds, IIRC there were 2 SS models for sale with lower miles & price..

Just saying..
Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Personally I think $16K is a bit high for 60K mileage..

Like you said, work down the price..

FWIW: Check here in the classifieds, IIRC there were 2 SS models for sale with lower miles & price..

Just saying..
gotta agree... i just picked up an '09 with just over 15k for a little over $18,000

also agree about the stock shifter didn't like it much in my first SS so i replaced it with a TWM shorty with the aluminum bushings and it made a world of difference..
It now resides in my new one

after market exhaust should be two pieces from the DP back (flange/coupling) before the rear tires... stock is one piece and needs to be cut to remove

Last edited by peevlos; 12-05-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Got my '08 in June with 42K for just under 16K out the door (taxes and plates, etc.). I would try and talk them down about 2K for the mileage and other issues.

And, I would agree about most of the rest as well. The shifter can be kind of cranky and frustrating to shift fast. I think a short-shifter might be in my future as well...
Old 12-05-2011, 01:36 PM

I paid 20 for a 2010 with 9k miles on it.

Your getting raped.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

09 auto, 19,500miles paid around 18000 1year and 3 months ago. with stg1 Of course that was 4000.00 in mods ago, I figured if I bought the used one then I would have money to add what I want. Don't think there are any new 2010 SS out there any more. Glad to hear they are holding value, however that one is high, you will have to act like you don't want it.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:14 PM

I don't know how the last Chevy someone owned is a Cavalier. Thats a horrible note to go out on

Quick Reply: New here, need some advice