Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Own Three!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:55 PM

Own Three!

Well, this is my third post since finding this site.
HHR's are not my life, although you would think with three they would take up a lot of my time. lol

I'm a contract small package courier and the HHR is the ideal vehicle for that.
My first post was in the general discussion forum in the High Mileage thread someone started for cars over 100k.

My work car has over 500k. (as of this moment after work 555732 mi)
Now, yes, I've had my issues with GM and the front end in general, but repairs and re-repairs have everything quiet for now.

I will say that this is the third vehicle I've taken over 500k, but the first to do so and still have the engine seem as tight as can be considering.
Both of the other vehicles were foreign and although I didn't spend a dime on either one of those front ends, this HHR gave me fits for a while.
But like I said earlier, all is well for now.

Let's talk about the engines.
Both foreign vehicles were showing considerable lack of enthusiasm by 400k much less 500k.
The HHR with a 2.2 has not skipped a beat.
Entering highways with no problem, passing with no problem, it just feels better than the other two at this point in it's life.
I realize it's not a 5.0 or HEMI, but for what it is I'm having no problems with the engine itself.

I've changed just about every other part you can name, but that is to be expected, of course.
The biggest expense came when the transmission failed at 403k.
Yes I did. Put a new tranny in for the simple reason the engine still felt so good. That's all I've got to go by is the feel.
Transmission now has approx 154k. Flush transmission and coolant every 50k.
Oil change every 5k with synthetic blend.
Flush the brake system every 50k also.

I've had the brake problems I've seen in some threads and am currently running an experiment (ie. change tire rotaters) to see if the wheels weren't getting over torqed.
Bad rotors were blamed for a while. Future installments to this story to come in other threads. I'll gladly answer questions here if anyone has any.
Oh, hello from Oklahoma.lol
Old 07-14-2014, 05:39 PM

Welcome from another courier.

If tire rotation and torquing is all you have gotten out of the "vibration" threads, I'd recommend using some more search terms. Most likely culprit at 500K is Lower Control Arm bushings, struts, rear brakes.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM

Done that.

Oh, no, all that has been replaced. Even re-replaced. Some warrenty, some just bad parts, bad roads, however at this time everything is good to go.
I've gone through just about every part you would want to replace. Things go bad, it gets replaced..naturally. Engine still going strong at 555+ so all is good at the moment.
This site has very good information that I have seen as I peruse the threads.
Already have brands of parts I'm going to try come next repair.
Appreciate the advise though.
I'll be around for a while. I do own three.
Love it
Regards from the courier nation,
David Hanna
Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Deceased

and aboard
Greetings from Texas

amazing what you have done with the HHR

Last edited by cj krause; 07-20-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:08 AM
Deceased

to the forum David!

Well now I have a target mileage to hit with my '06, it's barely broken in with 308,000 miles on the clock.

My others are just youngsters, 58,000 miles, 81,000 miles, and 166,000 miles respectively.

Not a courier though, just a Lawyer with a 300+ mile daily commute.