The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

2011 Kia Sportage - turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM

2011 Kia Sportage - turbo

I am looking to potentially hand my SS down to my daughter in about a year, and I'm trying to find anything that garners my attention like the HHR did. I saw an ad for the 2011 Kia Sportage and I like the looks of it. Only problem is that is comes with a 4-cylinder enginer with 176 HP. However, I read this on Edmunds:

In terms of engine performance, the 2011 Kia Sportage is still pretty average when it comes to actual output, because the standard 2.4-liter inline-4 makes 176 horsepower. But when you're behind the wheel, the Sportage feels much more athletic and engaging than any other compact crossover in its class thanks to taut suspension tuning. We expect the Sportage to get even sportier when the SX model with its turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 debuts later in the model year with 270 hp.
Name:  2011_kia_sportage_20353561-E.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  31.8 KB

fully loaded it stickers at about $28K before incentives and negotiation. I wonder how much the turbo engine will add to the cost?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Banned

Man, you'd be better off getting a new HHR SS instead of that.. That' a bit up there in price..
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 AM

The only thing ive found comparable to the HHR SS and around the same price is the dodge caliber SRT4. There are a lot of new wagons/mini suv style vehicles, but the turbo engines are more for efficiency than performance. The styling can also be a turn off with some, like the nissan juke.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Officer1151
Man, you'd be better off getting a new HHR SS instead of that.. That' a bit up there in price..
There won't be any "new" SS's by then, and I'm not going to buy the same vehicle twice. The Kia's price is definitely on the high side, but that is loaded with every possible option (leather, nav system) that the SS didn't even have available. I doubt I would get a Kia loaded up to that extent. And Kia tends to have quite a few incentives. I'd like to read a review of the Kia turbo to see how it performs and how it will hold up over time. As far as I know there has never been a Kia model that had a turbo engine, but I may be wrong.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 AM

Could be cool, it seems as though many (juke) and such are starting to make turbo's on more daily cars vs STI's Evo's and such. It will be nice to see how they last though.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Officer1151
That' a bit up there in price..
agreed.....and the price is going to go up yet for a turbo model?

I guess I am still in the mind set that the KIA is a lower quality car....like when they started with their super low $$ and short longevity of vehicles. I still consider them the yugo class. If you were getting the turbo model for the HHR base price, then yeah....I would say its a good deal.

As you climb to $30K, you should easily be able to find a similiar ride with more power and efficiency from the other manufacturers.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 AM

As kia is owned by hyundai, I assume its the same 2.0 turbo that is in genesis coupe, seems to be a good engine so far.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by prod
As kia is owned by hyundai, I assume its the same 2.0 turbo that is in genesis coupe, seems to be a good engine so far.
I'm starting to see a lot of Genesis coupes on the road now.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:50 PM

I will be trading in my SS in a few months for a Nissan Juke. Test drove one the other day. Loaded up (AWD,Nav,Bluetooth, USB(That actually works) and leather...... $24,000. $21,000-22 without nav,awd or leather.Car drove awesome and much more comfortable and you can actually see out the windshield without ducking down. Love my SS but too many issues and does not come with many options for a pretty steep price. The AWD is what is selling me. I need a car in this size range and really hoped GM would have made awd available in the SS........Or leather heated seats.....
At least when I get it I can finally stop buying Premium fuel......
I have a 50 mile commute each way and AWD is needed for snow season.....I dont need the performance as much anymore.
Im not knocking the SS by any means.....but for the price GM asked for this,they could have optioned it better.......
Old 10-20-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
I will be trading in my SS in a few months for a Nissan Juke.
MR16DDT – 1.6-liter Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG™) DOHC 16-valve turbocharged 4-cylinder engine
Horsepower – 188 hp @ 5,600 rpm
Torque – 177 lb-ft @ 2,000 – 5,200 rpm

ouch....AWD with that type of HP will be rather slow. AWD cars are pretty heavy...Juke SL AWD form is 3,210lbs. That means it's as fast as my corvette when it left the factory in 1978! (not good)

See below....our GSX (AWD) is a tank, quick....but that's cause it has the 1996 version of our SS engine in it that I have modified. Your talking TWICE as much power to move the car.

I also have to say the same for the Kia Sportage mentioned above:
Features:
* Engine: 2.4L I-4
* Fuel Economy: 21/28 mpg
* Horsepower: 176 @ 6,000 rpm
* Torque: 168 @ 4,000 rpm
* Transmission: 6-spd auto w/OD
* Curb Weight: 3,355 lbs.

Quick Reply: 2011 Kia Sportage - turbo