The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Which all in one printer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 PM

Which all in one printer?

I need to buy a new printer. I'm looking at the all in one printers but don't know which one to get. I do not do a lot of printing, no faxing, and maybe some scanning or copying. I figured I might as well get an all in one just in case. Looking for the best value, and one that the ink cartridges don't cost more than the printer! I have no preference on brand, just looking for the most for my money. I don't want to overspend with features I don't need, but don't want to underspend either. Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:59 PM

Epson CX9400 Fax might fill the bill for you. Scanner/printer/copier/fax Nice thing with the Epson is it uses 4 ink cartridges so you only change the empty color. Cartridges go for around 10 or less if you shop online for them. Going price should be about 100 bucks but shop for a deal and you can do better.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:08 PM

For all in ones, the Kodaks are very appealing. Ultimately the ink is your overriding cost, and Kodak ink cost is a fraction of the others. It's also nice to keep an American company humming. Print quality is very good as well.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:16 PM

you will always get screwed on the ink. That is the whole goal behind printer companies. If the ink costs too much then you will end up buying a new printer sooner then later just to get the ink with it again, when in fact that is what they want...

Get something with the built in wifi. Some hp's around 115-150 have it. I have one hp all in one sitting next to me right now and another a few feet away. Cut down on your wires. If I was buying one right now it would have wifi for sure (unless you don't have a wireless network in your house, but in todays world i say that is a must have as well)

But yeah, no matter what they will get you on the ink. Doesn't matter the cost of the ink or how much the printer cost in the first place. Our one printer at work takes 8 cartridges that cost $60 a piece, if you replace them twice, even that costs more then the printer. But it is a dang good printer...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 PM

If you can do without color than stay away from the lazier printers. The ink is a total rip off. I bought a Brother last year which is based on toner and it is so much cheaper to operate. One cartridge lasted for more than 1500 copies and a replacement one was only $50. Can't beat that.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:44 PM

I'm with Twist--whatever you get, go wireless if you can.
I have wireless in the house and have a Dell printer with wifi and it is hooked into 2 of the laptops (Studio 17 and the Mini). No superfluous wires--Love it.

Problem with Dell's is you have to pretty much get your ink from them--you can usually find aftermarket cartridges on ebay, but they don't last long. I print a lot, but not a lot in color if I can help it.

@ngelita
Old 04-06-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rcflyboy
If you can do without color than stay away from the lazier printers. The ink is a total rip off. I bought a Brother last year which is based on toner and it is so much cheaper to operate. One cartridge lasted for more than 1500 copies and a replacement one was only $50. Can't beat that.
toner based printers are nice but you sacrifice quality 100%. Yes you can get color ones too, but even those aren't perfect.

There is a reason why you don't print photos on a laser printer. Harder to get an even flood of color, gradients are a waste, etc.

If you don't print a lot get a printer around 100-150. You will still pay a lot for ink, but that is how it goes. Actually ordering ink for one of ours tonight, $30 for both cartridges, so it's not horrible. Both are HP.

You can make even a cheap inkjet printer print good if you work with it's settings though, can't say that for tone based systems.

If you have specific questions, fire away. I do all the maintenance on ours at work and ran a 42" wide HP inkjet plotter during school. That baby was expensive. Our cost was $14 a foot to print, and that was reduced a lot for us students.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 PM

It all depends on what you want to copy. If your looking at line copy than a toner based machine works perfectly for most people. But If you are looking for copying pictures or need great quality B/W than I agree laser's are great. It all comes down to what your looking for. o8redhhrss wasn't that specific about what he wanted. I also have a Cannon Laser printer for those rare occasions I need those better prints. Most of our home printing is for my kids home work, mapquest maps, documents and other day to day type of things we need copies of. Low cost toner based printers are perfectly fine for them.

I have worked on commercial copiers, printers and fax machines for 21 years. I can tell you, you get what you are willing to pay for. Same goes with the printers for home. It all comes down to what you want.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 PM

The epson I have (cx7800) has to be one of the worst Scanner/printer/copiers I've ever owned. Epson even got sued do to there printers saying there out of ink and the ink isn't really out. I can't say every Epson is Junk but I'll never buy one again.........
I would go with Kodaks All-in-one if I was you..........

Epson=
Old 04-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

The choice of an all in one printer is a matter of your needs. Everyone can give a suggestion and you can use those for reference and review to see if it will fit your needs. IMO

I have 2. Both HP's. And both under $150. In fact I bought one from Costco...one from Office Max (on sale).

Printer and copier quality was acceptable for my needs and I finally selected based on toner cost, which in some brands/models can get expensive. Both of mine use 6 cartridges and cost about $9.00/pc minus a $2.00 recycling fee ($7.00 plus tax). Buy the pack of multicolor cartridges for around $54.00 and refill as the each color runs out. However, I don't believe either are available any longer. Printers have more obsolescence than desk-tops or laptops.

And that's my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Which all in one printer?