The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Almost a disasterous day!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 PM

Almost a disasterous day!

Today I was taking my Donzi out of the water as it's the end of the boating season. I have a nice trailer and tow it with my '95 GMC Safari. I was careful to check to make sure the tongue was on the ball, my backup emergency chains were hooked, the other set of chains which hold the boat to the trailer were in place, etc.
It's about a 12 mile drive at 65 mph. and if any of you have pulled a boat, you'll know that it always surges a bit, and is a bit nerve-wracking. Anyway, as I was pulling it, I was thinking that I sure wouldn't want to pull this all the way to Lake George, where they have the Donzi meets.
Anyway, I got home, and couldn't believe it - my bumper was about 75% off of the vehicle! (Rusted underneath) It is an absolute miracle that it didn't give out completely. If it did, my boat would have shot down the highway on its own, and certainly have been totaled. Who knows what else might have happened. All of the chains, etc. meant nothing if the bumper fell off with the hitch.
Time to get a newer GMC or Astro. Lucky day for me!
Attached Images   
Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 PM

I can't beleave no one noticed and flagged you down! Thank God you got home safely.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I can't beleave no one noticed and flagged you down! Thank God you got home safely.
I'll ditto that.
Man, I would have felt quesy seeing that when I went to unhook it.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:56 PM

Anytime you use a vehicle to back into water..always do monthly checks of the underbody!! Its submerged into the water directly..very harsh for unprotected metal..much worst then rain..rain doesn't always get the entire underside wet...and if its salt water......oh boy.
Ive seen frames break off at the rear spring mounts..bad scene...